Mesh Warp smoothing

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Manu

Mesh Warp smoothing

Post by Manu »

Mesh Warp looks great, but would it be possible to have the option to smooth the resulting warping? Currently you can clearly see the edges of the polygons in the way the image is distorted.

synthsin75

Re: Mesh Warp smoothing

Post by synthsin75 »

From my understanding, this is not possible using the current implementation. When you triangulate a mesh, you're basically creating polygons, like what 3D models are made of. Except it's 2D and instead of polygons you have triangles. Similar to 3D modeling, you need to add more points (vertices) for a smoother surface. Too many points get harder to manage, but using the magnet tool or flexible bone influence can save from pushing so many points around.
Manu

Post by Manu »

The smoother example I'm showing works with a low resolution mesh, like Moho. But at render time, that low resolution mesh gets subdivided into more and more polygons until you get the smoother result.

In fact, the smoother example I'm showing is from Nuke, and one of the settings in the mesh warp is the number of subdivisions. If you set the number of subdivisions to 1, you get the same result as Moho. In the example above, the subdivisions are at 20 or so.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, I made a request to the developers to have a subdivision option after I read your first post. In the meantime, I think I may have a workaround that will help in limited cases. Give me time to test it some more.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

No, my idea really isn't too useful. So for now the only option is point-heavy smart mesh with bones and magnet tool.
Manu

Post by Manu »

synthsin75 wrote:So for now the only option is point-heavy smart mesh with bones and magnet tool...
..which slows down very quickly.

Anyway, thanks for chiming in. Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks this.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

For your example, a grid of pin bones may be more useful than a smart mesh.