new to moho - some very general questions

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

estherau

new to moho - some very general questions

Post by estherau »

Hi, I'm a long term poser user. I buy a lot of pre-made content for poser. I have a huge library of 3D assets including some BVH files, but i'm not an animator nor a really good artist.
I am trying moho to make some elearning modules for work. I did the green monster tutorial but the 2 hour tutorial (which was extremely good by the way) took me 2 days to do, and in the end I had errors.
I was wondering what the extent of premade content is for Moho. I would like to buy rigged characters, particularly doctors, nurses and patients and hospital rooms. And walk and talk animations premade. Is that sort of stuff available or does one always have to pose the figures at various frames oneself? Do BVH files work?
I don't want to sound lazy, it's just i want to focus on telling a story mroe than I do on the technical side and I don't mind buying pre-made content.
Love esther
jahnocli

Re: new to moho - some very general questions

Post by jahnocli »

Content Paradise and Cartoon Solutions are probably your first ports of call. Cartoon Solutions is undergoing some kind of refit at the moment, but they sell all kinds of Anime Studio/Moho character packs and backgrounds normally.

I'v tried asking for BVH import on numerous occasions over the years, but it doesn't seem to be a priority...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

estherau wrote:...And walk and talk animations premade. Is that sort of stuff available or does one always have to pose the figures at various frames oneself?
If you want premade animations and characters, it sounds like Crazytalk Animator may be closer to your needs. There are no built in drawing tools. You generally purchase content to suit your needs. I should mention there's a fairly steep learning curve imo despite the automated features (the UI takes some getting used to and you still need to know how to work a timeline, keyframes, etc). Once you get the hang of the software, you can indeed create animation without drawing or animating skills.
jahnocli wrote:I'v tried asking for BVH import on numerous occasions over the years, but it doesn't seem to be a priority...
I see that the idea was mentioned over ten years ago: CAPTURE MOVEMENT FOR MOHO!!
As mentioned in the thread, taking 3D data and mapping it onto 2D is a non-trivial task. Maybe there are better resources now, who knows?

Still, Moho's ability to save and reuse animation is great new feature and a step in the right direction.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

neeters_guy mentioned that "...taking 3D data and mapping it onto 2D is a non-trivial task..." Well, I'm *sure* I've mentioned this before, but the interestingly-named Awesome Animator can do this, and the developer just seems to be 'some guy'. Maybe Smith Micro could buy his company and use the code? Or something?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

The downside to Poser is that you buy your art. So any animation you make in Poser so can I.

With Moho, I'm not going to copy your animation because I can't copy exactly the way you draw. Can come close, but not an exactly copy like Poser.

Some advice: Draw, Draw and Draw. Then look at the 12 animation principals. Know them. Watch more videos on Moho.
Last thing, animation doesn't happen overnight.

Dale
estherau

Post by estherau »

HI,
well I was really hoping MOHO would have something like universal poses so I could make a keyframe and pose a character with a pose file or use some sort of pre-made walk and my character would walk etc. If have to do everything myself it will take me months even if I do get the hang of it.
Maybe I need something more like muvizu but for mac. not sure if there is such a thing.
I presume crazy talk is for mac as well as PC? but not sure if that is waht i want either as I dont just want talking heads.
Love esther
estherau

Post by estherau »

I have seen other software where there are pre-made walks for characters eg tell the character to walk to the door, open it, go into the next room and sit down in a chair, without having to animate every little thing myself. however these are PC and I am on mac.
Love esther
estherau

Post by estherau »

ah I see crazytalk animator 2 is actually for mac as well as PC, and it looks like it has lots of premade options to speed up making an animation. thanks very much for the suggestion. I will look into this.
Love esther
estherau

Post by estherau »

It has a universal character system. this sounds like what I need.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Hi Esther - just browsed your website.
Have you considered Motion Artist http://my.smithmicro.com/motionartist-m ... tware.html in conjunction with your current drawing package (or Moho)? And Moho's Character Wizard (with all its "issues") does come with premade actions for walks etc - adapting the base characters for your own uses may not be too onerous. Plus there's a load of free stuff: http://my.smithmicro.com/anime-studio-2 ... ntent.html to use or adapt?

anyway - whatever route you choose - good luck with it.
estherau

Post by estherau »

I have motion artist but I think making a motion comic would be too much work. I will not be using the 2D cartoon software for my comic as that has a different look. I will be making some elearning modules and having some toon characters talking may help with engagement of my learners. I had a play with crazytalk animator pro 2 and i think it might be perfect for what I need. And less work. It looks quick and easy. However I like moho and will probably come back to it one day in the future.
I actually bought the CT pro but I accidentally chose the PC version adn I am on mac, so i am waiting to hear back from renderosity.
Kind regards,
esther
PS thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.