Smartbones driving me nuts...

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

perihelion74

Smartbones driving me nuts...

Post by perihelion74 »

Hi!

I'm going to ask a question that might not be hard to answer since its impossible to know exactly what I have done and I have a hard time knowing where I go wrong as well.

Heres the scenario.

1. I import a character I've drawn on paper, scanned it in, imported to photoshop, separated the different parts into layers and saved.
2. I import the psd file into Moho Pro 12.
3. I add bones to the character.
4. I add a smart bone to control the eyelids using an Action.
5. Everything is working fine, I can control the characters arms, limbs and the eyelids.
6. I fiddle around ;-)
7. And now I cant get the eyelids to work. Not in any way I can imagine. If I go in to the timeline for the action and move between frames the eyelids are moving. If I exit that timeline and go to the main one again. It's not working. It just stops working and I cant put my finger on doing anything special.

Is this a known bug or something? Or is my knowledge of Moho just to low? I'm still learning...

/M
neeters_guy

Re: Smartbones driving me nuts...

Post by neeters_guy »

Does the smart bone stop working or are you saying you can't manually key the switch on the main timeline?

If I had to guess, I'd say this a similar cause to problem posed here: animating layers problem

If the eyelid switch layer is keyed in the smart bone action, then you'll have conflicts on the main timeline. Not always however. as it depends if the smart bone is in neutral position. For example, if the smart bone action isn't activating the switch, then main timeline will work. But if you have the smart bone on "open" then you can't manually override to "closed' on the main timeline.

Does that make sense?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

I had something similar -- it turned out that I'd accidentally MUTED a points channel in the action. And as the action was the only place the points were animated, it was really hard to spot. Just as you have: works in the actions window; stubbornly stays rooted to frame 0 in the main timeline.

In the SB actions window check the dot beside the channel relevant to the eyelids. if it's RED click it and make it white.
perihelion74

Post by perihelion74 »

Both interesing replies. I'll do some more digging and get back. It could be a conflict as mentioned..
perihelion74

Post by perihelion74 »

Hmmm I'm on to something. I see now that all of a sudden the smar bone actions I created became regular actions... Something fishy here...
chucky

Post by chucky »

Look for bone names: maybe something's wrong there?
Maybe a folder that isn't a bone group?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Have you added any bones in the layers hierarchy between your smart bone layer and the eyelid animation layer?
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Can give a link to the file?

Dale