Krita 3 released with animation tools

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

herbert123

Krita 3 released with animation tools

Post by herbert123 »

Krita 3.0: The Animation Release

https://krita.org/item/krita-3-0-released/
Today the Krita team releases Krita 3.0, the Animation Release. Wrapping up a year of work, this is a really big release: animation support integrated into Krita’s core, Instant Preview for better performance painting and drawing with big brushes on big canvases, ported to the latest version of the Qt platform and too many bigger and smaller new features and improvements to mention!
You can now do proper frame-by-frame animation in Krita. Multiple layers, all sorts of playback speeds, onion skinning, on top of all of Krita’s existing paint tools: It’s enough to make any animator’s fingers itch!
  • Animatable raster layers – Animated raster images with frames, and use the time-line docker to order them. Works in all color spaces and depths as well!
  • Onion skinning – This allows you to have an overlay of the previous and next frames, an important assistant when going from rough animation to smooth animation!
  • Importing image sequence – Import any set of images as an animated layer, automatically sorted by naming scheme.
  • Exporting image sequence – Export the whole animation as an image sequence, for further processing in other programs.
  • New dockers – timeline docker, animation docker, and animation workspace
  • CSV import and export – for layered animation, for use with TV-paint, or Blender via a plugin, courtesy of Laszlo Fazekas
  • Spriter scml exporter – Make the base image in Krita and then export it to this powerful cut-out animation tool for games.
It is easy to make a timeline docker, but it’s not easy to have fast playback, and we know that animation in Krita would just be a gimmick without real-time playback. Therefore speeding up was paramount!
  • Caching for Animation playback – Proper animation playback, in all sorts of frame-rates, relative speed-ups
  • Instant Preview for Big canvases! – Utilizing the power of OpenGL 3.0 you can now draw smoothly with 1000 pixel width brushes!
  • Frame dropping – For slower devices, we implemented frame-dropping, so that you can always see your animation at real-time speed!
And much more! For a list of new features, visit https://krita.org/krita-3-0-release-notes/
dkwroot

Re: Krita 3 released with animation tools

Post by dkwroot »

edit: Not a bug
Last edited by dkwroot on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karip

Post by karip »

dkwroot wrote:Is anyone else seeing this bug?
To show the onion skins, you have to activate the zero frame in the onion skin docker.

dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

karip wrote:
dkwroot wrote:Is anyone else seeing this bug?
To show the onion skins, you have to activate the zero frame in the onion skin docker.

THANK YOU!!!
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

I've been using Krita 3.0 all day and it's incredible! The program runs so much faster and smoother than before. I'm just blown away by how much better this version is from the previous version. :shock:

Anyway, I've been toying with the FBF animation tools and I'm in love with it! It's simple and functional with no excess complications. :D
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Thanks for the headsup - going to give it a whirl!
karip

Post by karip »

You're welcome dkwroot!

I think too it's drawing smoothness is very good. With a PC + cintiq it draws really, really nice. The timeline is also pretty functional and seems that it's possible to find a good workflow for animating. OSX version is not quite there yet, but will be.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Thanks for sharing!
exile

Post by exile »

I tried this, but as they state on their web page, there is a problem of compatibility with Intel graphic cards. One recommended workaround, disabling GPL in the program, didn't help. My drivers are up to date - maybe they'll solve this problem in the near future. OpenToonz, on the other hand, is not as intuitive at first, but contrary to some reports I've read runs stably on my Windows 10 computer (I have version 1.1.1). If one door is closed, try another.
Steve

http://www.youtube.com/user/toonlyrics
Music Website: http://www.singadream.com
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

krita 3.0.1 is out!
https://krita.org/en/item/krita-3-0-1-u ... ous-fixes/

For a 0.0.1 update a number of very useful new features have been added. Soft proofing!

herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

exile wrote:I tried this, but as they state on their web page, there is a problem of compatibility with Intel graphic cards. One recommended workaround, disabling GPL in the program, didn't help. My drivers are up to date - maybe they'll solve this problem in the near future. OpenToonz, on the other hand, is not as intuitive at first, but contrary to some reports I've read runs stably on my Windows 10 computer (I have version 1.1.1). If one door is closed, try another.
Have you considered upgrading your graphics card? For graphics Intel is just about the worst you can get. So many problems with 3d and 2d software that make use of OpenGL are caused by Intel.

Of course, if you are working on a laptop, it may not be possible to upgrade.
exile

Post by exile »

herbert123 wrote: Have you considered upgrading your graphics card? For graphics Intel is just about the worst you can get. So many problems with 3d and 2d software that make use of OpenGL are caused by Intel.

Thanks for your interest, Herbert. At the moment, my mind is blown by the possibilities of Open Toonz, which does seem to work on both the desktop with Nividia and the HP Elitebook 2760p I picked up on eBay - it's probably at least 5 years old, but has a digitizer pen with pressure sensitivity at a fraction of the price for anything new. If there are problems with anything besides Krita I'll look into upgrade possibilities.
Steve

herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

exile wrote:
herbert123 wrote: Have you considered upgrading your graphics card? For graphics Intel is just about the worst you can get. So many problems with 3d and 2d software that make use of OpenGL are caused by Intel.

Thanks for your interest, Herbert. At the moment, my mind is blown by the possibilities of Open Toonz, which does seem to work on both the desktop with Nividia and the HP Elitebook 2760p I picked up on eBay - it's probably at least 5 years old, but has a digitizer pen with pressure sensitivity at a fraction of the price for anything new. If there are problems with anything besides Krita I'll look into upgrade possibilities.
Yes, I have noticed too that OpenTOonz runs fine on quite minimal hardware - even on my slow Asus epe121 with built-in Wacom digitizer and Intel chipset it runs smooth. Krita not so much!
exile

Post by exile »

herbert123 wrote:
Yes, I have noticed too that OpenTOonz runs fine on quite minimal hardware - even on my slow Asus epe121 with built-in Wacom digitizer and Intel chipset it runs smooth. Krita not so much!
I noticed you've been contributing to the OT discussion. Greg Smith's tutorials are amazing. I admire people who are masters of a variety of difficult programs, even more if they are willing and able to share their knowledge that effectively.

All the best,
Steve
Steve