Multiple dat files for same character?

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

hmb

Multiple dat files for same character?

Post by hmb »

I'm trying to add additional audio to what's already there. When I try to add it on, it replaces the first chunk instead of tacking on at the end of the first sentence. Is it possible to do this? Do I have to create several switch layers (mouths) and use the visible feature? It would be so much easier just to add on. Thank you for any feedback!!!Image.
hayasidist

Re: Multiple dat files for same character?

Post by hayasidist »

the .dats are just text files, so editing and appending is an option. And if you can work a spreadsheet the whole thing becomes even easier.

remember not to include the header from the copy of the second (and subsequent) files.

(I'm on windows - so I'd ***TAKE A BACKUP COPY OF MY .DATs*** then open each file in notepad; copy and paste into excel; change the frame numbers as necessary; copy and paste from excel back to notepad and save.)

let me know if you need more detail / example spreadsheet
hmb

Post by hmb »

Thank you for your reply. I will have to try to figure out what you mean. I looked up "header." I have to admit that I'm not sure what I'm not supposed to include. An example spreadsheet would be great. I'm not really a spreadsheet user, but I'd be willing to learn. I don't really understand this part, " ...change the frame numbers as necessary..."
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

take a look at a file in a program like notepad or some other text editor.

you'll see something like this:

Code: Select all

MohoSwitch1
1 etc
4 AI
7 etc
13 AI
16 etc
19 L
22 AI
the line MohoSwitch1 is the header
then the other lines are there to control the switch -- frame number and switch layer

if you wanted the example file to start at frame 31 instead of 1 just add 30 to all the frame numbers

Code: Select all

MohoSwitch1
31 etc
34 AI
37 etc
43 AI
46 etc
49 L
52 AI
and if you wanted to put those two sequences in the same file, copy the lines except the "MohoSwitch1" one and paste the on the end of the first file.

==

just in case you've not seen it, there's more on papagayo here: http://my.smithmicro.com/papagayo.html
===

and ... before I upload a spreadsheet example -- do you have Excel? (if not then what?)
hmb

Post by hmb »

Thank you. I will give this a try. For now, I have it set up with multiple mouths, using the visible/non-visible feature. Works, but adds a lot of extra "stuff" to the project. I'll create something to try this.
hmb

Post by hmb »

I know why you say a spreadsheet would be ideal. I see now what can be done. The only spreadsheets I have are Numbers and Google Sheets. I can't figure out how to make them work but that is another problem that I can get help with at work. If I do this manually, I assume that I have to change the frame number one by one? Whatever the current frame is + (let's say) 40? Yikes. Too bad I'm such an old dog that is slow learning new tricks.

Thank you for all the help and time to show me what I need to do.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

yes -- if not a spreadsheet then it'll have to be line by line editing.....

BUT....

given where you are with the technology, I've been thinking of an easier way ...

try this:

have the "for real" switch layer where it's needed AND THEN make a copy (duplicate it - not copy by reference) either in the same file or, probably easier to manage and visualise, in a separate file (use Copy Layer and Paste Layer) where it's the only item.

run the first .dat against the copy. Then select the keys and copy them -- then paste them to "the right place in the timeline" in the "for real" switch.

run the next .dat against the copy... that'll wipe out the keys for the first .dat and put its own ones there ... select the keys from this second .dat and paste them to "the right place in the timeline" in the "for real" switch.

etc etc ..
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

There's a much easier trick.

Just duplicate your mouth layer. One of them gets the first DAT assigned, the other one the second DAT. Now switch off visibility for the second one as long as the first DAT dialogue runs, then switch visibility. (You can put both mouth layers into a switch layer.)

Nobody cares how many layers you've got in your anme file, only the finished animation counts.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
hmb

Post by hmb »

My "fix" was to copy the switch file and hide/show it as needed. I thought the extra file info would slow things up. I will try the copy multiple mouths next time. What a great forum. Now to fix the slow, spinning ball of death problem. Thanks for all the suggestions.