TOONZ GOES OPEN SOURCE

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Psmith

Re: TOONZ GOES OPEN SOURCE

Post by Psmith »

In this video more information is presented that demonstrates the use of Keyframes in the X-Sheet and how to manipulate them. Onion Skins are also demonstrated:

Enjoy, all you who aspire to excellence in your work,

Greg Smith
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Psmith wrote:Says You! Why do you assume that if a person can't afford Moho, in this case, they don't make money by producing animated content? You make a lot of assumptions about people, don't you?
I said, "If you do not intend to make money at it..." That leaves open the possibility that you currently do not, but may intend to. But if and when you do, I wouldn't consider you a professional until you can both earn a living and cover business overhead, like software. If your work doesn't cover both, then either you don't get enough work or are charging someone's-nephew-rates. I would consider that a hobby, even if it does subsidize your income a bit. Plenty of people have profitable hobbies, and plenty turn hobbies into professions. You may not like my criteria for where one becomes the other...and that's your prerogative. No need to feel like it is a judgment or criticism.
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

synthsin75 wrote:
Psmith wrote:Says You! Why do you assume that if a person can't afford Moho, in this case, they don't make money by producing animated content? You make a lot of assumptions about people, don't you?
I said, "If you do not intend to make money at it..." That leaves open the possibility that you currently do not, but may intend to. But if and when you do, I wouldn't consider you a professional until you can both earn a living and cover business overhead, like software. If your work doesn't cover both, then either you don't get enough work or are charging someone's-nephew-rates. I would consider that a hobby, even if it does subsidize your income a bit. Plenty of people have profitable hobbies, and plenty turn hobbies into professions. You may not like my criteria for where one becomes the other...and that's your prerogative. No need to feel like it is a judgment or criticism.
So, if I understand you correctly: you feel that people can only call themselves a professional in art, science, animation, etc. depending on their financial status - meaning, you can make a living off the work they do?

Money equals professionalism? More money, more professionalism?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

herbert123 wrote:So, if I understand you correctly: you feel that people can only call themselves a professional in art, science, animation, etc. depending on their financial status - meaning, you can make a living off the work they do?

Money equals professionalism? More money, more professionalism?
Professional
a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs
b : having a particular profession as a permanent career
c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return

I don't know how you're equating more money to more professionalism.

Professionalism
a : the competence or skill expected of a professional
b : the practicing of an activity, especially a sport, by professional rather than amateur players

Even though a non-professional could very well demonstrate such competence or skill, that doesn't necessary make them a professional. As in sports or any other endeavor, the difference between pastime and profession is whether you earn a living at it. Or would you call a ten year old a professional simply because they can draw well and occasionally sell a work of art?

Or just look at the Olympics. For the most part, you can only compete if you are an amateur. Making a living at the sport is what makes you a professional sports competitor and ineligible for the Olympics.
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

This next video is a kind of remake of a previous one - featuring the Morphing Process, Saving Files and Rendering a File to .avi movie format.

The procedures shown are current as of version 1.1.0:

Health to you in learning!

Greg Smith
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

The main part about being a professional is, IMO, being able to keep promises. Someone pays you for creating a certain thing within a certain timeframe in a certain quality, and you deliver. You meet deadlines, you deliver quality. This also means you have the tools for the job and all the knowledge to use them.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

I really didn't mean to start an argument with my suggestion, sorry guys!

For what it's worth, I am a professional animator, I make my living from animating. But I don't make enough money from Moho to justify getting the new version immediately. I hope to one day. Yes, I could afford to buy it, but I can afford to buy a lot of fun tools that I might use "one day". However, after years of doing that (and paying for a lot of gear that I never ended up using), I have learned that it's better to get things either when you need them, or wait for the best price.

So I see both Greg's and Wes's point of view. Everybody is correct. :)

Keep up the good work with the videos, Greg!
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

Does opentoonz have switch layers or something like it? If you make a cutout character, how would you do lipsync?
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

dkwroot wrote:Does opentoonz have switch layers or something like it? If you make a cutout character, how would you do lipsync?
Simple in OpenTOonz: any level with drawings can be used as a switch layer with the skeleton tool in animate mode. Select a level in a column, and active the skeleton (bone) tool. Select an exposed frame, and an on-screen widget allows for quickly dragging up and down to flip through drawings as well as animate the bones.

One of the new developers (Turtletooth) implemented the , and . keys to achieve the same thing in any tool mode.

And OpenTOonz displays the content of a level in a vertical panel, and by holding down <ALT> morphemes (and expressions) can be dragged directly into the Xsheet, replacing the existing content of a frame.

Various options!
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Experience squashing and stretching in OpenToonz by creating a "Worm Cycle". Just a simple Plastic Mesh and a few Nodes is all you need.

An advancing cycle is obtained with only two key poses:

Greg Smith
ehilado

Post by ehilado »

looks complicated
Software use:
Manga Studio 5
Anime Studio 11
Adobe Premiere
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Audition

http://animestudioanimation.tumblr.com/
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Ehilado:

I don't know. Moho 12 is very complicated and difficult to master. OpenToonz is actually much more straight forward in its approach to animating.

OpenToonz "Plastic" tools really are much simpler than anything Moho has to offer that does the same thing. The Plastic "Nodes" make it look more complicated than it is - because of the myriads of connecting lines between them. I would petition to have the option to hide these lines and to color code the Nodes, themselves - but feature requests are mostly being ignored by the current team of developers.

Since OpenToonz is free - why not give it a try? I've got some very basic tutorial videos that will guide you, step-by-step through the tools and procedures:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... opdAtx-hVb

Here's an example of the completed "Worm Cycle" - which takes only a few minutes to draw, rig, animate and render - everything is manipulated with "Plastic":

Greg Smith
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Psmith wrote:I don't know. Moho 12 is very complicated and difficult to master.
I think that's spelled P-O-W-E-R-F-U-L.
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Yes, some people have an insatiable need for ever-increasing P-O-W-E-R !!!

Greg Smith
exile

Post by exile »

This is certainly an interesting thread for me. I stumbled onto OpenToonz, having shied away at first because of reports of constant crashing on Windows. I didn't even realize it had anything comparable to bones until this evening. Greg's arm (I mean, the one drawn by him) looked great. My idea was, since I don't have deadlines to meet - I like Tiger's definition of "professional" as one who keeps promises - to force myself to improve my drawing skills by trying some frame-by-frame exercises, first copying and then varying classical sequences by Preston Blair.

The only thing I've noticed so far is that the drawing tools seem to be nice to use. I bought an older HP laptop/tablet with a Wacom digitizer on eBay which makes it possible to directly draw on screen. Other programs create so many vector points from hand-drawn lines that I can't edit them, OpenToonz seems to be more user-friendly and needs far fewer points, making corrections possible with less swearing at the computer.

I'm glad the Lost Marble forum is being tolerant toward people interested in other options besides MOHO. I'm not about to deinstall my AS 11.2, but the prospect of rising prices has made me reconsider my options and try out several open source programs. It's not just a question of people like me, Greg is right to point out that most of the digital world community has a lower standard of living than even poorer people living in North America or Western Europe. By creating tutorials he's helping them, hat off for that. OT seems the most interesting of the options out there and might well be worth the time to learn.

In the meantime, those drawing skills need some work ...
Steve

http://www.youtube.com/user/toonlyrics
Music Website: http://www.singadream.com