TOONZ GOES OPEN SOURCE

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

herbert123

Re: TOONZ GOES OPEN SOURCE

Post by herbert123 »

dkwroot wrote:Opentoonz looks great, I just wish they'd add the option to make the timeline horizontal. Vertical x-sheet is great for frame-by-frame, but cutout animators prefer horizontal. It's the difference between being able to see more of the canvas when you draw verses seeing more of the timeline when you animate. I know it's a petty grievance, but the vertical timeline just really turns me off.
I have used horizontal timelines since the beginning of time, and I actually prefer the vertical approach myself. I wish we had a timeline like this in Moho.

Having said that, I feel the best of both worlds is to have both.

By the way, if you wish to control the animation with a horizontal editor in OpenTOonz: there is always the graph editor.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

dkwroot wrote:the vertical timeline just really turns me off.
Didn't take me long to get used to it. And I get freaked out when software changes splash screens. :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

JaMike wrote:And I get freaked out when software changes splash screens. :)
Wow, you must be a wreck. :lol:
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

synthsin75 wrote: Wow, you must be a wreck. :lol:
Too right. And don't get me started on the Google homepage. :shock:
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Having reconsidered my opinions and ways, here is the continuation and the beginning of a long list of OpenToonz Video Tutorials:

Secret, Mystical and Useful.

Enjoy and Learn,

Greg Smith
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

Brilliant, Greg! :D
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Here's Part 2. Adding even more versatility to a simple Plastic Mesh:

Enjoy and Progress,

Greg Smith
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

Greg, it might be interesting to compare Plastic with Moho's Smart Warp. Try doing the same animation in both, so people can see how much easier one is than the other.

In the meantime, I await part 3!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

JaMike wrote:Greg, it might be interesting to compare Plastic with Moho's Smart Warp. Try doing the same animation in both, so people can see how much easier one is than the other.
Might not want to post those results in the OpenToonz thread. Just saying. :wink:
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Mike & Wes:

I'm unsure as to whether I will be posting - either here or on my own YouTube Channel - any more Moho tutorials. And this decision not to publish, (if I make it), comes for the following reasons:

1) I, myself, cannot really afford Moho and Smith Micro's policy of constantly charging more (justifiably) - either every year, or every other year.
2) Most of the world's population who are trying to learn animation using the best available tools also cannot afford Smith Micro's commercial model.
3) Everything, with a few exceptions, that I want to accomplish with animation can be done faster, with more elegance and simplicity using OpenToonz - than it can be done with Moho.
4) The airwaves are already overflowing with Moho tutorials. Just as they are with Blender tutorials. There is no need or benefit for me to add to the menagerie.

Greg Smith
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

Oh! I didn't mean for it to be a competitive comparison. Although in hindsight I can see it could be viewed as that. :oops:

I just thought it would help drive traffic to both tools - those who can afford Moho would choose that, those who can't would go with OpenToonz. And both look easier than After Effects Puppet tool.

But warping is what a lot of people want to do, it's a hot topic.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Psmith wrote:1) I, myself, cannot really afford Moho and Smith Micro's policy of constantly charging more (justifiably) - either every year, or every other year.
2) Most of the world's population who are trying to learn animation using the best available tools also cannot afford Smith Micro's commercial model.
No one's to say that hobbyists should be upgrading every years. Pros usually do, because they can really make use of the improvements and justify the cost offset by work.
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Wes:

Who said anything about being a hobbyist? I'm certainly not. I'm simply poor, that's all.

Greg Smith
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Psmith wrote:Who said anything about being a hobbyist? I'm certainly not. I'm simply poor, that's all.
If you do not intend to make money at it (that could afford you paid software) then it fits the definition of hobby. Many hobbyists are highly skilled and work very hard at their pastime.
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Wes:

Says You! Why do you assume that if a person can't afford Moho, in this case, they don't make money by producing animated content? You make a lot of assumptions about people, don't you?

Greg Smith