It describes in detail how to setup puppet character and animate them. Although I would probably organize the puppets in a different way myself, it still is very useful.
Compared to Anime Studio it does feel clunkier in places, and AS offers much, much more in terms of this type of puppet animation.
What I DO find great in OT compared to AS:
- the imported SVG outlines remain identical looking in OT. In AS this is just not an option - if I want quality drawings, I am forced to draw in Anime Studio. And I just do not like drawing in AS that much - I dislike the "feel". The trouble is that I cannot use other vector drawing tools to do my drawings since AS uses a different type of curve math/type which is rather incompatible with what the rest of the market uses - and this causes the conversions to be abysmal. Fixing those drawings in AS is not an option either - takes too long, and redrawing/tracing takes less time.
- the project management tools. Wow. Love those. I believe the next version of AS will improve things in this regard, however.
- the schematic view (nodes) both for the scene structure as well as the built-in compositor. How I would love those in AS. It just makes things SO much easier to work with in complex projects.
- the convert to vector option. In AS the equivalent trace option is just terrible - in OT a clean centerline option generates a clean single path, and the relative thickness is parametric. In AS the trace function creates outlines - ugh. Unusable. Aside from that, OT offers very nice cleaning options too in case you want to import a paper drawing as the basis for a character.
- the Xsheet. It is a joy to work with. Toonboom also supports an Xsheet, but it falls short of the one in OT. I know, the horizontal timeline has its advantages, and I would love to have both options. A vertical timeline also makes more sense in terms of screen space (screens are much wider than they are high nowadays)
I always struggle in AS in this regard. And the trouble is that importing and/or tracing is not an option either. If only the drawing tools and (more importantly) import of vector formats would be improved in AS. AS kinda resembles an independent island nation - the interoperability with other software should REALLY be improved in my opinion.