Integration with Adobe Illustrator

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mick

Integration with Adobe Illustrator

Post by Mick »

I'm having an issue moving vector art created in Adobe Illustrator, in to Anime Studios. I'm currently using version 7 of Anime Studios.

When I export .ai artwork from Illustrator and import them in to Anime Studios, the "Stroke" lines become shapes in Anime Studios. I'd love it if they would remain as Strokes.

Any ideas...?
funksmaname

Re: Integration with Adobe Illustrator

Post by funksmaname »

Simply, it can't - AS and Illustrator use completely different systems.

I would either export your character in parts as PNGs, or practice working with AS tools for drawing - it's the only way you won't end up with 1000 points to create one curve as well.
Mick

Post by Mick »

Thanks... I was afraid of that. I did find an okay work around. Export .ai artwork after 1st removing the strokes in Illustrator, then add strokes in AS to each of the shapes. Not too bad, but I was hoping for something simpler. Thanks for taking the time to respond. :)
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I still highly recommend transitioning to recreating the design in AS - when you get to animating you will appreciate it!
Mick

Post by Mick »

yeah... I've been using AS for several years

http://alarmservices.info/alarmServices ... ystem.html

but was looking for something that would give me a little more flexibility in creating the vector art, and then importing to AS for the animation. I love AS, but the creation of the original art is a little time consuming, and limited, within the program. I was hoping to create in Illustrator and animate in AS. Still, AS is a wonderful program. Thanks again for the feedback... :)
Fuzatron

Post by Fuzatron »

Later versions may have better drawing tools than 7? I started with 9 or 9.5. I thought i would NEVER prefer AS's tools over AI's for anything. But now i very much prefer AS for most vector illustration. I still like AI for some logo and gui design work due to pathfinder, constraints and align/distribute tools.... And i love AI's pen tool (been using it since ver5.5) especially with the new shortcuts and all.... But i really find AS is a MUCH more natural way to "draw/sculpt" shapes. For me anyway.
Mick

Post by Mick »

You may be right. I've been thinking about moving to a newer version of AS. But as soon as I upgrade to 11... they'll come out with 12 for another 300 bucks or so... If you have that much experience with Illustrator, and like AS as good for Vector Art... It may be time for me to consider taking the plunge. Thanks for your input.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Mick wrote:You may be right. I've been thinking about moving to a newer version of AS. But as soon as I upgrade to 11... they'll come out with 12 for another 300 bucks or so... If you have that much experience with Illustrator, and like AS as good for Vector Art... It may be time for me to consider taking the plunge. Thanks for your input.
That's the problem with Anime Studio. Their businesses model is to make the software better on each version. That way you want to pay for the upgrade. The cool thing is that you could stay with AS 7 and animate. Or you can take the plunge and get 11. It been a normal rule that they have given some leeway if you just bought 11 and 12 comes out. Or you can hold your breath and wait. Smith Micro as far as I have seen treats their customers fairly. They don't give away the software. But if you don't have the money to keep up with the upgrades there is always legal copies of an older versions out there.

Dale
Fuzatron

Post by Fuzatron »

Mick wrote:You may be right. I've been thinking about moving to a newer version of AS. But as soon as I upgrade to 11... they'll come out with 12 for another 300 bucks or so... If you have that much experience with Illustrator, and like AS as good for Vector Art... It may be time for me to consider taking the plunge. Thanks for your input.
Sure!
Sounds like my luck :lol:

It's definitely an adjustment, and i wouldn't have stuck it out if AI files weren't so unwieldy. It's definitely a different workflow. It's more like working with Flash than Illustrator, the way i use it.

I normally draw a oval or rectangle then shape it mostly with A (add points), C (curvature), T (move), W (width), H (hide/show edges). All of those shortcuts are Sticky Keys too. So you can stay on the move tool (or whatever), and just hold those keys, and release them to automatically switch back to the previous tool. Same as holding E, L, V, etc in Photoshop.

Using styles and the Style palette took longer to get used to. I like it well enough now. I have to admit, it still throws me out of rhythm from time to time though while i get my bearings :P ...You also have to get used to reversing your "weld" setting with a shortcut. The shortcut tips above the canvas are invaluable. Working with paths vs shapes can also take some getting used to.

Drawing with a tablet, using the "freehand" tool, has improved quite a bit in recent versions. I've played around with it a good bit, but it's not a part of my regular workflow right now. I should probably make more use of it, but usually like having more control over point placement. I'd use it a lot more if i were going for a more gestural than vector look.

Not sure how much of this was already in 7, and sorry if any/all of this is old news :)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I agree with Funksmaname, it's better to learn to use the native tools.

I started using ASP about three years ago and as a longtime Illustrator user, my initial impulse was to use Illustrator for most graphics. However, once my wife and I started making our first film 'Scareplane', it became clear that this wasn't a very practical approach, and we took a closer look at the existing tools. ASP's vector tools are really not bad once you get familiar with them, and it's gotten a lot better since the version we used at the time (9.5). Lately, I've been amazed by some of the 'natural media' looks we've been getting with the new brushes in ASP 11.

The main difference is the lack of bezier handles in ASP but my understanding is that the program works the way it does to allow smoother and more accurate deformations with its bones system. In other words, for the purpose of animation, the ASP paths just work better. I think if we had some boolean operations like in AI, I'd be set, but otherwise ASP 11 offers a clean and efficient way to draw any shape for smooth animation.