Patches in Groups?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sillyanimate

Patches in Groups?

Post by sillyanimate »

Is there a way to use patches in group?

I like being to able to organized, by using groups especially since we have nested layer control...
Would it work if i put the two or more groups in another group layer and put the patches in there?
Don't forget! No one is perfect!
synthsin75

Re: Patches in Groups?

Post by synthsin75 »

Try it and see.
Greenlaw

Re: Patches in Groups?

Post by Greenlaw »

That was a good question. I just gave it a try and it seems to work but I'm seeing a small issue in the test I did.

Make two Vector layers with long outlined shapes that overlap, like an upper and lower arm overlapping at the elbow. Make your patch layer above it and target the lower layer. That's a normal setup. Now click on one drawing layer and select Group With Selection, and repeat for the second drawing. The Patch layer should still work for the two groups.

I was a bit surprised that the Patch Layer somehow switched automatically to the Group. But on closer inspection, the Patch Layer setting wasn't actually pointing to anything and it wouldn't let me manually select either Group Layer.

I wondered if maybe I broke the Patch Layer so then I tried deleting the Patch Layer and creating a new one. ASP wouldn't allow me to create a new Patch Layer though. Next I created a couple of new Vector layers and then ASP allowed me to create the Patch Layer. Apparently, ASP doesn't really recognize Group Layers as 'patchable' layers. What I did earlier just sort of tricked it.

So, the short answer is: it kinda works and it kinda doesn't, and it probably isn't supposed to work that way.