Charging for AS characters

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jessica951

Charging for AS characters

Post by jessica951 »

Hello everyone. I was wondering what a reasonable price range for a fully rigged ASP character would be. What factors would change the price? Would you charge by hour or ask for a flat rate? Also, if there are several characters would that affect the price range?
dueyftw

Re: Charging for AS characters

Post by dueyftw »

I charge 30 dollars an hour. I put a screen clock on my desk top and have a screen grab every minute. Then I will work in 2 hour blocks with brakes.

They not only get the work but the ability to see just what I was doing for the time charge.

Dale
Durand

Post by Durand »

Wow Dale, I would love to earn $30 per hour for my animation work. I have been working almost constantly during the last 12 months as a freelance animator and illustrator. Most of the jobs that I get, if I add up all of the hours that I put into them, would average at about $2USD per hour, sometimes less! I wish I could get better paid work, but I am unable to get a break.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

$2/hr! That's insane. I could never live on that.

My rate starts at what I could make at a day job. Otherwise it's not worth my time.
Durand

Post by Durand »

Well, I am almost broke at the moment. I have just barely been able to keep my nose above the water. And now a couple of potential jobs have fallen through, That plus the fact that a job that I worked on for about a month was never paid for. I do not know how to get decent paying animation work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Durand wrote:Wow Dale, I would love to earn $30 per hour for my animation work. I have been working almost constantly during the last 12 months as a freelance animator and illustrator. Most of the jobs that I get, if I add up all of the hours that I put into them, would average at about $2USD per hour, sometimes less! I wish I could get better paid work, but I am unable to get a break.
I don't get much paying work. There are just too many who will work for cheap. I have a day job that pays well so I can charge the 30. But If I pay my taxes, I'm really only making 15.

My last job I did not clock it because I knew it should only take me 2 hours. It took 6 because I didn't know how to do it. 4 hours of leaning. :) I never charge for learning. You have to trust the client, and take it slow. Do a few hours and then ask for payment. If the are not willing to pay for work done then stop.

Dale
chucky

Post by chucky »

Durand wrote:Well, I am almost broke at the moment. I have just barely been able to keep my nose above the water. And now a couple of potential jobs have fallen through, That plus the fact that a job that I worked on for about a month was never paid for. I do not know how to get decent paying animation work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?
Durand, this is horrible to hear, Australia is rife with exploiters. It is a badge of honour for many to rip off artists.
Try not to take those jobs, it just encourages bad behaviour.
Always take a deposit unless the company is well established and regular employers in the field.
Fly by night operations work like this, so try and stay away from those who don't regularly hire artists. The legit people can't afford a bad rep amongst the animation crowd.
If they are offering too little then be very wary.
Try and visit some decent studios, go to industry events, meet a better class of employers.
I hope you have a better year in 2016.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

chucky wrote:
Durand wrote:Well, I am almost broke at the moment. I have just barely been able to keep my nose above the water. And now a couple of potential jobs have fallen through, That plus the fact that a job that I worked on for about a month was never paid for. I do not know how to get decent paying animation work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?
Durand, this is horrible to hear, Australia is rife with exploiters. It is a badge of honour for many to rip off artists.
Try not to take those jobs, it just encourages bad behaviour.
Always take a deposit unless the company is well established and regular employers in the field.
Fly by night operations work like this, so try and stay away from those who don't regularly hire artists. The legit people can't afford a bad rep amongst the animation crowd.
If they are offering too little then be very wary.
Try and visit some decent studios, go to industry events, meet a better class of employers.
I hope you have a better year in 2016.
A new year, same Bull Ship.
I sometime go to Freelance for work. I randomly look at the jobs. Most of them I don't respond because they offer almost no money for the work involved.
Then there are people who will waste you time.
Some one ask to have a video tape to a line the back on to a computer screen. (the job is gone??? so I can not copy the vague instructions of what he wanted.)
This is what I did in 10 minutes to show I could do it. And quoted 4 hours, 120 dollars pulse Freelancer charge, total 133.
[URL=http://s49.photobucket.com/user/dueyftw ... 5.gif.html]Image

His response: "Great little gif, I think you have gotten the idea/look :) do you have some other animations online of earlier work ? "

Send him links to other animations and nothing.

I could have done a better job on the gif, but some people will just use it and not pay.
By the way he is at:
https://www.freelancer.com/u/kaimelkevi ... st_login=1

Now for the brighter side:
I went to the CTN expo and learned that Nick has two programs:
Nickelodeon Writing Fellowship and Nickelodeon Artist Program

I have applied to the writing program with what I think is a very good spec script. I even drew some characters on the envelope. Now I'm working on my artist submission.

Dale