Why do my legs look like that???

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Bhaus5

Why do my legs look like that???

Post by Bhaus5 »

Hello!

I am a new animator and have about 2 months of Anime Studio learning under my belt . :D The following video is just a really quick test video where I did my first Additive Cycle with the new download. As my character walks across the screen, his pants become transparent and you see the floor!?!? How do I get rid of this and just see his pants?

I realize there are other flaws in the video, but I am starting with the slacks. :lol:

https://youtu.be/RT4KQzpEXz4

Thank you much for any advice!!!

-Andrew

FYI, I am also completely new to Cyberlink PowerDirector (Christmas present) and that is how I put in the super simple title page and spliced the 2 AS scenes together.
sbtamu

Re: Why do my legs look like that???

Post by sbtamu »

It looks like you made the entire pants with one shape. Break it up into three shapes.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
saintbe

Post by saintbe »

Your pants is a single object ... When lines cross you will see this behaviour.

Try making 2 different layers for the pants ... one for the left leg and one for the right.

Hope it helps.
Cheers.
K.
Bhaus5

Post by Bhaus5 »

Thank you!!! I will make multiple shapes!!!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

they don't need to be on separate layers, just separate fills... you need to split the shape (probably down the crotch) and recreate fills for each side separately...
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Just adding to what the others posted in case you're new to this.

I suggest making it three shapes and, yes, they can be in a single layer if you prefer. To do this, select the points for each part individually and create the shape. For example, select the 'far' leg points but only up to the crotch and lower hip, using the Create Shape tool--the tool will hilite the border of the new shape--then press Create Shape or the space bar. Repeat this for the hips and crotch points and for the other leg. You should now have three shapes If the interior edges are visible, use the Hide Edge tool to hide these edges. If you should not be able to animate these shapes as a single shape.

If the shapes are out of order, for example, the far leg is overlapping the near leg, you can change the stacking order using the Select Shape tool to select and shape and then pressing the up or down arrow key.

Depending on what the character needs to do, you might then consider breaking the pants into separate layers. For example, I typically do this when I need the upper legs to completely cross over.

G.
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Agree with what everyone here said, but I have a helpful simple technique to fix this.

Since the pants are one shape, and you've already animated it as such, Simply attach a line at the existing crotch point and connect it to another existing point on the waist, you've now created a line without creating any new points to animate. Now use the select shape tool and create a shape for the back leg, then do the same for the front leg. (this will place the front leg in front, since the most recent created shapes are on top) simply hide the line that you just made, and your finished without re-animating. (I do this now for fingers)

Good Luck

LY
Bhaus5

Post by Bhaus5 »

Thanks for all the advice!! I will definitely use it!