Papagayo 1.1

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Lost Marble
Site Admin

Papagayo 1.1

Post by Lost Marble »

Papagayo 1.1 is now available. There are no visible changes in this release, but Papagayo now uses the same QuickTime-free sound system that Moho uses. This means that scrubbing and playback should be a lot smoother. Plus, Papagayo is now also available for Linux. You can download the new version here:

http://www.lostmarble.com/papagayo/index.shtml
dienben

Post by dienben »

Congratulation!

Thanks a lot for this new version and the linux compatibility!

Dienben
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

...YES! THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :D (I always forget that is possible reply this kind of Anouncement posts :)) ...Work with audio is now a pleasure in both programs and I really (REALLY) love the new performance! MARVELOUS WORK LM! :D I mean --> :mrgreen:
hdd

hi!

Post by hdd »

hi to all , I'm new to this forum ,
I'm working on a exporter for 3Dmax and next for Maya (linux too ;))
Thanks in advance!

P.S
great work !
and thanks for the linux version!!!!
:D
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

So, what is it about Linux that allows the Linux version of Papagayo to be about a third the size of the Mac or Windows one?
hdd

Post by hdd »

because all the python library is just installed....
L.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

The Linux version requires you to install the Python language (which is probably already installed anyway), plus the wxPython user interface library. The Windows and Mac versions use special Python tools that "compile" a Python program into a standalone program, including all the needed libraries. The Windows and Mac versions could be distributed almost exactly like the Linux version, but that would make them harder to install and use. The Linux version would probably be distributed as a standalone version too, but I don't believe there is a similar tool for Linux.

Post by Guest »

Lost Marble wrote:The Linux version would probably be distributed as a standalone version too, but I don't believe there is a similar tool for Linux.
You could possibly use cx_Freeze - I'll admit I haven't used it on Linux, but there is a Linux version available.

Regards, Myles.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Hmm, that's a possibility, although they do mention possible compatibility problems on Linux.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

I'd vote for keeping it separate. Most distributions have python, and it's simpler the way it is.

Post by Guest »

Oh, definitely keep the current small-download (source) version for the intermediate/knowledgable Linux users.

The target for a complete standalone would be people just starting out with Linux - while most distributions include Python, far fewer include the wxPython GUI extensions.
However, it's not too hard to install these, whether you use apt-get, rpm, or visual package managers such as Synaptic.
So, the question Lost Marble has to ask/answer - is it worth the effort to support a Linux standalone?

Sidenote:
As far as I can tell, the cx_Freeze incompatibility notes apply to the build machine, not the end-user. The version of cx_Freeze has to match the Python version (and possibly things like C compiler for binary modules) on the build machine in order to find, include, and properly set up library modules.
The distributed version, again as far as I can tell, should be properly standalone and not care about what is installed on the end-user machine.
Again, whether it's worth the effort is a question I happily avoid.

Regards, Myles.
wmartinez

Post by wmartinez »

Hello!
It is great to hear Papagayo source is released (long time since I visited this forum :oops: )!!!

I have a question. If I want to change the code to improve anything in Papagayo, and I want to make those changes available to all other fellow Papagayo users, how can I made them through Lost Marble? That is, does LM have a procedure, rules or way to accept and incorporate changes made by collaborators into the actual Papagayo releases?

Please let me know. Meanwhile I'll play a little bit with Papagayo code.

Thanks LM!

William.
digitalarena

How about Xsheet/Dope Sheet export

Post by digitalarena »

Papagayo is one of the best lip sync tools around, but it lacks one thing, xsheet/dopesheet export.

Moho.dat format is great if you are using Moho, but there is a whole bunch of users out there who are doing ordinary stop motion animation, and Papagayo does *almost* everything.

JLipSync (http://jlipsync.sourceforge.net/) does a lot of similar things, but has problems if the WAV file is too big. Yolo (http://yolo.sourceforge.net/) - based on Papagayo is more reliable, but running on Java it can pause briefly when scrubbing hard.

If Papagayo 1.2 included xsheet export, that would just do it for me.
digitalarena

Post by digitalarena »

wmartinez wrote: I have a question. If I want to change the code to improve anything in Papagayo, and I want to make those changes available to all other fellow Papagayo users, how can I made them through Lost Marble?
If it's any help, I am happy to post your modified software on my creative freeware site - http://www.digitalarena.co.uk.
gremble

64-bit Linux

Post by gremble »

I enjoyed using 1.1 on my 32-bit system, but now on an amd64 and it doesn't work. It fails ending with:

ImportError: /home/ben/games/papagayo/_lm.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

It would need either a 64-bit version, or conditional loading of a 64-bit compiled _lm.so. Can anyone help with this? Is the source for _lm.so available anywhere?