ASP11 Zooming Issues

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

voxac50

ASP11 Zooming Issues

Post by voxac50 »

I have a Mac. In previous versions of Anime Studio, I could zoom in by using the scrolling function on my wireless mouse. However, in ASP 11, when I try to zoom by the same method, it just pans across the screen, without zooming. The only way I have found to zoom so far, is by using the keystrokes, Command + or -. The problem with this is that it jumps in increments that aren't always the amount of zoom I need at the moment. Has this function changed, or is there a way I can restore a smooth, incremental, mouse based zoom function?
Psynema

Re: ASP11 Zooming Issues

Post by Psynema »

Have the same issue - customer support denies it's a problem, first stating I didn't have my right click enabled on my mouse, which was not true. Then it asked me to delete an Anime Studio Pro 11 preference file to which none existed - they claim a file in Library > Application Support > Smith Micro >ANime Studio Pro > preferences exists, but it's just an empty Anime Studio folder.

Did a search can't find a preferences file.

They also claim Shift, right click, and drag will zoom in gradually, but it does not.
trygve

Post by trygve »

Same problem here too. Hope this get fixed.

(Shift, right click and drag works for me)
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

I've noticed this problem also. However, shift + right-click and drag with both my mouse and my Wacom stylus does work nicely.
Distinct Sun

Post by Distinct Sun »

There are going to be a number of factors here that we need to answer to figure out what is going on. As Tech Support might have mentioned we have not run into this internally, so finding out some more information might be helpful.

1. What is the brand and model of the mouse you are using?
- We have tested the Apple magic mouse A1296 3Vdc here on all supported Mac operating systems and are not seeing any stepping or incremental Zooming when using the ( SHIFT +RIGHT CLICK + DRAG Right & Left )

Was there another wireless Mouse that Apple released at some point?

2. Command + -/= has not changed and still zooms in/out at increments like in previous versions.

3. You can also use the Workspace > Zoom Tool. By ( Clicking + Drag Right & Left ) You are able to zoom as well, but we are not seeing any lag or noticeable incremental zoom here either.

4. Under Preferences > Tools Tab > Zoom with drag box is not selected is it? Having it selected should result in zooming each time you click to drag, so I am assuming it is not selected, but just wanted to check.

5. I am testing side by side AS11 and AS10 in the same machine and I am getting similar results, so I am perplexed. Could there be anything specific with the project settings, GPU, have you installed any 3rd party scripts or tools?

The only thing I can think of here is that you are zooming in and out quickly and visually it is appearing to step somewhat as you zoom. If I read into it a lot I can kind of see this ( most likely caused by a screen refresh rate) but if I slow way down and make my zoom slow I am not seeing any stepping. Maybe video of a screen recording would help Tech Support out...
"All colors are the friends of their neighbors and the lovers of their opposites."
Marc Chagall
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

I'm not sure if you are replying to the OP, but as I've said, shift + right-click + drag works fine for me with my apple magic mouse and my wacom stylus. Nice, smooth zooming.

I can't really say if mouse scrolling was different on 10 because 11 overwrote it when I installed. I usually use my stylus with all my art apps anyway, but I just did a quick look-around using my mouse after installing 11 and I remember thinking that the pan-instead-of-zoom behavior was odd. I decided to check ASP 9.5 on my other computer and zooming does indeed work with my apple USB mighty mouse scroll button, so I wasn't just imagining it.

(Just out of curiosity, I thought I'd check some other apps to test mouse scrolling. Toon Boom Animate, Painter, Google Sketchup, and Cinema 4D all enable zooming in and out via mouse scrolling. Sketchbook Pro, however, only pans when scrolling as in ASP11.)
voxac50

Post by voxac50 »

1. I am using the mouse that came with my Mac, and it has always worked before. The Mac is a late 2009 27 inch Imac, running OSX 10.10.3, with 16 GB memory.

2. Command+ / - seems to be working normally, which is incrementally.

3. I tried the workspace zoom tool, and it is working as you described. I have actually never used it before, because zooming by mouse scrolling was quick and easy, without having to select a tool. Now scrolling doesn't work.

4. The zoom with drag box option was not selected. I tried checking it, and it had no effect on the missing Scroll to Zoom function.

5. I haven't changed any settings or installed any 3rd party scripts. Just straight out of the box, I launched ASP11, opened an existing file and there was no more zoom when I scroll.
In previous versions, I would occasionally brush my finger inadvertently across the mouse and the image would rapidly zoom out to where the entire file was a tiny dot on the screen, which I could easily bring back by pressing the home key.
I have checked out all the other zoom functions you described, and they all work as described, but they all take longer, and involve the selection of tools or keystrokes, which slows down workflow. The mouse zoom scroll function that was quickest and easiest seems to be gone.
I can try making a video if this doesn't help.
matthewrobson

Post by matthewrobson »

Just to add my voice to this; I have also lost the ability to zoom in/out of the canvas by using the scrolling function on my magic mouse. I'm using a 2010 iMac 21". I have found that if I use a different bluetooth mouse with a scroll wheel, that works just fine to zoom in and out, so the problem does seem to be with just the magic mouse.
Loving version 11 btw: this application does just keep getting better and better!
matthewrobson

Post by matthewrobson »

I've just installed the 11.1 update. This issue is still present for me. Would be lovely to get this fixed or any advise anyone might have on how to tweak settings to re-enable zooming by scrolling on macs using magic mice in version 11.

Many Thanks,

Matthew
voxac50

Post by voxac50 »

I also recently installed the 11.1 update. Alas, for me, the scroll to zoom function is still MIA.
Hopefully, they will be able to restore it by the next update.
JCook

Post by JCook »

I was having problems with the zoom tool also, zooming interactively in ASPro 11. In previous versions I could press Contral+Shift (Mac) and drag to zoom as much or as little as I wanted. That changed in 11. The Shift-RightButton-Drag option only zoomed so far in that it was useless. This thread made me go to the preferences and UNclick Zoom with Drag Box, and now Shift-RightButton-Drag works the way it should. That makes me very happy, as I use that feature all the time. The Command+/- option is fairly useless to me because it zooms in or out way too much each time. But now that I've got this feature working it's much better.

Jack