Hi, boys and girls! An old fart needs a mentor of ANY age!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Ira7

Re: Hi, boys and girls! An old fart needs a mentor of ANY ag

Post by Ira7 »

Thanks!

Tonight I start working with your tutorial, albeit still in 8. Gonna upgrade to 11 next week.
Furpuss

Post by Furpuss »

Hi-

I'm a retired animator who has been using Anime Studio for a couple of years. I believe it has tremendous potential. I started on it at 70 and am now 72. So don't worry about the age thing. But, I must warn you learning ASP was one of the toughest things I ever did. But finally, after a couple of years I feel fairly comfortable as a user but still don't know everything.

You can see some of my videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/furface70/videos

For help, the forum is your best resource-

Good luck-
Furpuss
Ira7

Post by Ira7 »

Thanks, Puss. I appreciate the encouragement.

Right now, I'm mostly working on my audio education in Audacity, as well as GarageBand, although I'm already pretty familiar with this latter program based on past projects:

In GarageBand, I simply take existing Midi files, split them into their separate tracks, and remix with the instruments of my choice, and chop the size down to fit. Of course, no vocal tracks here, which is why I'm using Audacity to edit other commercial tracks for background music. (Yes, I'm well aware of the licensing issues involved!)

I've done some of my Character development for Anime outside of Anime already, but not very much. I know that this is a marathon, not a sprint, and I want to really take my time to stay motivated and really learn Anime, which scares me more than the AUDIO. But since both are crucial, and I'm making audio headway, my journey continues.

Thanks again, and if you don't mind, I'd like to PM you from time to time with a generally stupid question.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Hey Furpuss,
Thanks for sharing your link. Your style is wonderful! On your Buddy Riff tutorial did you do anything special to get the up and down head movement to blend well with left and right, or did the simpler head shape make it easy to blend well? Whenever I try this I have most trouble with positions such as looking up and left of I'm using a more realistic face.

Your pointers on stretch and squash and "zoom" are very helpful and give your character a nice look!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Great character and nice looking rig Furpuss!
GoChris1

Post by GoChris1 »

Hi:

I am in the same boat as you. Formerly wonderful, now old and irrelevant, felt like I could not draw...

Just kidding!

You CAN draw. And learning to do it is the fastest way toward developing some Moho characters of your own. May I recommend this book?

It's called Mark Kistler's Imagination Station

https://www.amazon.com/Mark-Kistlers-Im ... on+station

It's written for kids. Follow along with the book and you will be cartooning in less than 20 minutes.

Here's another one that I used:
"You Can Draw In 30 Days by Mark Kistler"

https://www.amazon.com/You-Can-Draw-30- ... 0738212415

Same author, but he wrote this one for adults. You can buy them used from Amazon, or get them from the local library. They are fun, and the art concepts he teaches are not difficult to execute. It's just putting shapes you can already draw together in new ways. You don't have to be a genius to draw cartoons!

I worked with his book for 20-30 minutes a day for a month, had a lot of fun with it, and now I can draw well enough to get my message across. For instance, if I draw a duck, people can tell it's a duck. I'm not Jack Kirby, but to do well with Moho, you don't have to be.

Here's a video of Kistler teaching - the actual learning begins at about 6:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSAsR7nV-bI

Good luck! You can do it!

Gochris