Actions and workflow

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dfaris

Actions and workflow

Post by dfaris »

Hi all,

Regarding actions, is it best to record all animation moves and poses into actions(action panel) and then just reference them into the timeline of the scene?

I'm starting to think about work flow and the best and fastest way to reach my goal and from what I gather its best to have something like this:

1. individual folder of your toon's positioning (right side,center,left side,etc.)
2. files of animation (walking, running, sitting, etc)
3. recorded action of the animation in the file
4. reference actions into scene animation

I used this method when I was doing 3d but I was wondering if there is any limitations or a better procedure with AS?
I havent experimented with this yet but Im getting close to actually animating a character.
Thanks!
chucky

Re: Actions and workflow

Post by chucky »

Good question dfaris.
I personally use referenced actions much less than my initial instinct would have me.
You can paint yourself into a corner in regard to flexibility.
However the concept is good so I might use them for small stuff like blinks.
Since the other referencing features in V11, maybe action referencing could be much more useful, so I'd love to know any new workflow that takes advantage of it really well.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I've used this approach of creating a library of movements myself, but only in the context of games. If you really want to tell a story visually, this would be counter-productive.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

As far as I am concern, if it works, its good.

Did some tests in the past doing libraries of actions then mixing them for a scene with bone and point animation on top, was really fast and quality was good enough for young children's TV animation.

Also included the new object referencing in 11 in my workflow, meaning that you reference a unique character or background in all your scene files, this way if you make a change to the original character or background file, the changes can be propagated in all of your scenes.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

depends on how much you plan to re-use the character. If it's a one-off, I'd say don't: you'll spend a lot of time doing stuff you may never use.

this thread might also help you decide: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27787
dfaris

Post by dfaris »

Thank you all for the advice.

I dont know about earlier versions of AS but I can tell you referencing is a pretty good way to get efficient. You can reference an animation into a new scene and then change a few frames for a particular pose or whatnot. I've tried it with a simple walk animation. First did the slow walk, saved file, copied the action into a new action and turned the head this time, saved, etc, etc. So now, I have a file for my character with a side view and in that file I have all the actions I would generally use; walk, sit, jump, and several variations of each.

I don't think you can library every bit of animation you have for a character, because well, imagination always makes you do something different but for efficiency and staying within your style, I think it's a great way to go. Why go through the mundane task of animating a walk for the second time, when you did it already. I think I will action most of my animations, even when I change them up a bit for a particular scene. I might use it again someday. Animating takes so much time and Im finding that 2d animation actually takes longer than 3D because I have to draw a view for every particular angle I want, instead of just moving the camera around.

Of course, referencing(instancing I habitually call it) is only good for a character based theme. It would be pointless for one offs. The good thing about 3d is that you can install the animations and movement into the rigs themselves and import them into different skins. Never having to create a movement/pose a second time.

As far as story telling goes. Well I cant help but think of Scooby Do. It has the same animations every episode, but the plot and the monsters, that's where the story was (although, it was 98% the same too lol).

Anyway, Im new to AS but my background firmly tells me that too much valuable time is spent doing the same thing over and over again, it's destructive to productivity, imagination and desire. Work on something new, not something old.