Create and assign styles?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SpaceBoy64

Create and assign styles?

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

This has always been confusing to me, because it's not very intuitive. In theory, this should making changing clothing and skin color a breeze, but it never seems to work for me. I create styles, but then how do I assign them to shapes?

Thanks.
synthsin75

Re: Create and assign styles?

Post by synthsin75 »

Have you studied the style window chapter in the user manual?
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

synthsin75 wrote:Have you studied the style window chapter in the user manual?
I have. I'll go back over it again, but I have never had much luck with it.
willf

Post by willf »

Draw or trace the curve (or unofficial 'shape') first, then use the Create Shape Tool and you can assign styles to your shapes as they are created.

If you have a shape and want to change its color to that of another shape, use the Select Shape Tool and the Eye Dropper Tool. Or just select the shape and change its color manually.

You need to make sure you have a shape selected (or ready to create) before you can change it's color.
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

I have no problem setting colors for shapes, but the idea behind styles, correct me if I'm wrong, is that I could set up for instance, Skin Color 1 as a style and assign that to a number of characters. Then later, if all those characters need to have a different color skin, I could make changes to that style, which would change all of the characters at once without having to go into each individual shape and change it's color on every single character.

I tried to do this once before, and it got very confusing, very quickly. Styles can be applied to an individual shape, yet that style can be overridden per shape, which is what happened to me by accident, and that negated the whole usefulness of setting up styles.

I'll have to go back and look at tutorials. I am working with a character now which was purchased from Content Paradise, and has no styles set up. I would like to make it easy to change her hair and skin color.

Thanks,
-Don
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Are you using the paint bucket tool to "repaint" existing shapes?
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

I looked at some video tutorials. Even that didn't make it crystal clear, but I was able to figure it out. At first I was trying to apply a style by picking it from the drop down menu at the top, which of course does nothing, and deselects the shape I was working on. I realized I was doing it wrong. I now remember the Style 1 and Style 2 pickers towards the middle. Not really sure why there'd be two, but I guess one could be for stroke style and another for fill.

I see from a YouTube video that Styles changed in version 9.5. Was that not a free upgrade? I have version 9.2. I don't see 9.5 offered in the upgrades.

Oh, and no, I hardly ever use the paint bucket. I do use the eyedropper though.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

SpaceBoy64 wrote:I looked at some video tutorials. Even that didn't make it crystal clear, but I was able to figure it out. At first I was trying to apply a style by picking it from the drop down menu at the top, which of course does nothing, and deselects the shape I was working on. I realized I was doing it wrong. I now remember the Style 1 and Style 2 pickers towards the middle. Not really sure why there'd be two, but I guess one could be for stroke style and another for fill.

I see from a YouTube video that Styles changed in version 9.5. Was that not a free upgrade? I have version 9.2. I don't see 9.5 offered in the upgrades.

Oh, and no, I hardly ever use the paint bucket. I do use the eyedropper though.
Styles have not changed significantly, just things like fill/stroke effects. If I remember, 9.5 was a paid upgrade.
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

Thanks.

Here's what I watched:
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Those were just changes to how the style was updated, live, in the workspace. Didn't change a thing about how styles are change, saved, applied, etc..