ASP 11 is Released!!!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ThatsNotAllFolks

Re: ASP 11 is Released!!!

Post by ThatsNotAllFolks »

selgin wrote:
ThatsNotAllFolks wrote:Hello everyone, I just upgraded to ASP11 and I am very excited as Im sure you are too. I have a question. Is this new version supposed to overwrite and delete the previous version? Reason I'm asking is because now I have both versions on my computer. If it was supposed to get rid of the older version (ASP10.1.3) then I must have done something wrong. I have a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.9.5

Thanks, Just trying to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.
Personally, I had installed 3 versions of the software for months (9.5, 10 and 11 beta) without problems. Just be sure to use different folders for each and try to keep things clean.

Thankyou for the response!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I just now stumbled on the new Split Selected by Layer Comp button in the Batch Render window. This feature is just awesome, AWESOME!

Thank you so much for this new feature, dev team! It removes much of the tedium with breaking out layer passes in previous versions. :D

G.
Bossco

Post by Bossco »

Greenlaw wrote:I just now stumbled on the new Split Selected by Layer Comp button in the Batch Render window. This feature is just awesome, AWESOME!

Thank you so much for this new feature, dev team! It removes much of the tedium with breaking out layer passes in previous versions. :D

G.
What. so you mean that you can render out layer passes for compositing in a single render like as in a 3D program?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, you've been able to do that for quite some time by setting up your passes using Comp Layers.

The difference now is that in ASP 10 and earlier, you had to manually load or duplicate the scene multiple times in the batch queue, and then manually assign which Layer Comp each instance would render out as. But in ASP 11, if the scene contains Comp Layers, you can use the Split command to automatically the split apart the passes (i.e., BG, MG, FG, characters, props, special mattes, etc.,) for the batch queue with a single mouse-click.

This will be incredibly useful to me. For example, in a recent commercial project, our scenes contained as many as 8 layer comps each, so it became tiresome to set up the batch render scenes for the whole project--that was about 22 scenes with 6 to 8 layer comps each, for a total of 132 to 176 passes, plus more than a few re-renders during production. This was further complicated by the fact that ASP 10's Overwrite Frames option was broken, so I had to make sure old frames were deleted before re-rendering or it would break our comps. Ugh! That whole business was my least favorite part of animating that short. :p

(I don't know if Overwrite Frames works now in 11. I'll need to check that soon.)

G.
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

It was the final days of the 33% discount offer so I just went and upgraded from 9.5 to the latest release. This will be quite the learning experience as I have spent the last few days re-learning ASP 9.5 and feeling like a newbie all over again, and now I will probably attempt to shift the project over into 11 with all the new ways of doing things. Or perhaps I will leave 11 for when I get a handle on 9.5. Oh decisions decisions.
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

I just opened version 11 and right away I noticed a feeling of big-ness, or more generous work space. However while selecting layers on a project, I have been getting this checkered pattern. Is that normal and what does in signify?

[URL=http://user/djwaterman/media/displ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

:wink:
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, the heavy checkerboard pattern is normal. It tells you that you're in Shape Creation mode--think of it as the preview of the shape that will be created inside the selected path when you press the Enter key. (Beginners note: It's important to distinguish paths from shapes and edges in ASP. A path is just the spline that defines boundaries of potential shapes or, in some cases, the motion path of layers. Shapes and Edges are the elements that get rendered. You can have multiple shapes sharing the same path or different segments and regions of path. That might sound a bit abstract at first but it's a fundamental and powerful concept in ASP.)

In Shape Selection mode, a lighter checkerboard pattern (which is much less visible) shows which shape is selected for changing its stacking order. In ASP 11, note that the stacking order within a single layer is now keyframable. (This is very useful: previous versions allowed you to animate layer order but not shape order.)

The heavy pattern may appear obtrusive at first but you'll get used to it. I don't think I really notice it anymore.

Hope that helps, and welcome aboard! :)

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Also, since you already have 11, there's no reason not to jump directly into it. For the most part, the GUI is the same and nearly all the concepts for using 9.x will carry over. There are a few methods from 9.x and earlier that became simpler or even obsolete during 10, so it's probably better to learn the newer tools/methods in 11. Just sayin'. :)

G.
hamed1900

how to download anime studio pro 11 trial version?

Post by hamed1900 »

hi
GCharb

Re: how to download anime studio pro 11 trial version?

Post by GCharb »

hamed1900 wrote:hi
http://my.smithmicro.com/anime-studio-pro-trial.html
Only trial for ASP 10 right now though, I guess a trial for v11 will be available soon!
shift

Post by shift »

I just upgraded but I have a problem already. I just opened and converted one of my old projects to anme 11. I added a patch layer but I do not see the patch. I moved the patch outside of the group folder it was in and it is revealed. I put it back in the group it disappears. I right clicked and added it to the mask still do not see it. I clicked "do not mask this layer" and it still is not there. I selected the layer tool so see if I would see a square around something indication where it is I still do not see it. I have zoomed out 10x nothing.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

shift wrote:I just upgraded but I have a problem already. I just opened and converted one of my old projects to anme 11. I added a patch layer but I do not see the patch. I moved the patch outside of the group folder it was in and it is revealed. I put it back in the group it disappears. I right clicked and added it to the mask still do not see it. I clicked "do not mask this layer" and it still is not there. I selected the layer tool so see if I would see a square around something indication where it is I still do not see it. I have zoomed out 10x nothing.
Patch layer work fine here in V11, check this file I just made!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ibxye ... estV11.zip

EDIT: Have you checked to see if hidden in editing view is checked in the patch layer properties? It hides the patch layer in the editing view if checked!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Greenlaw wrote:...ASP 10's Overwrite Frames option was broken, so I had to make sure old frames were deleted before re-rendering or it would break our comps...(I don't know if Overwrite Frames works now in 11. I'll need to check that soon.)

G.
I finally got around to rendering actual scenes with the Batch Renderer in 11. Lots of nice new features but this one is still broken. If you enable Overwrite Existing Files, the Renderer will still create a new folder appended with a number to write to. Unfortunately, this prevents comps from picking up the new frames because the old frames are never actually overwritten. This means I need to make sure I delete all my rendered files before using the Batch Renderer, which is a bit annoying.

I know that's not a huge deal but since the Overwrite option exists in the UI, I do expect it to do just that so I don't have to worry about it.

Hope this gets fixed in the next update.

That said, there's been a lot to like about 11 so far. I'm really digging the new drawing tools--in this area, 11 is delivering much of what I had expected back when 10 was released. :)

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ketchup

Post by ketchup »

:D I am really looking forward to upgrading to 11!

Back in 2012 I suggested adding a Blue line pencil for quick sketch rough drawing and eraser. I am really happy to see these additions have been implemented. This should have a fairly sizable affect on my decision to use AS on projects that require more sophisticated characters. THANKS!

1. The first tool I would love to see implemented, is a quick sketching 'blue pencil' tool that allows or more robust creative thinking. Vector lines are more akin to 'inking' a final cel, which is a refinement step of the animation process. The bulk of animation is creatively tying down concepts and elaborating. This requires a tool to draw poses and tweak frame timing. Currently this requires importing animation or individual cels from an exterior program, which is functional, but not practical or workflow efficient. I think that creating greater flexibility for refining 'rough' drawings would be very advantageous.

2. Morphing lines with dissimilar points. For example, currently if I wanted to have a frame with a mouth 'Eeee' shape, then a frame with a 'Owww' shape, I would need to move points around to create the correct shapes. I would be excited to see a solution that allowed for the creation of a line drawn 'Eeee' and 'Owww' with morph blend targets to ease the point transition. Basically a tool that allows morphing of dissimilar shapes with controlled distortion.

3. Erase point tool. Simply drawing over a point to remove it would be great.

Like many replies to this post, I am a huge fan of AS. I have lots of other ideas I feel would help build AS into a more accepted, powerful and functional tool. AS offers so much, but still seems to come up short for so many timeline driven applications, where results are driven by budgets. I truly hope the development team takes the maturation of the AS toolset and the needs of its audience seriously.