ASP 11 is Released!!!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jayfaker

ASP 11 is Released!!!

Post by jayfaker »

So it is out! What do you guys think so far?

Quick question as I've never upgraded before. I imagine I'll be able to keep ASP 10 and 11 on the same machine, but will that use up 2 licenses to keep them both active? Just curious as I want to have both active during the bug fixing process in 11.

Edit: Never mind I'm dumb. Of course it comes with new serials. I'm now getting confused between subscription licensing and perpetual. :)
Last edited by jayfaker on Wed May 27, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seren animation

Re: ASP 11 is Released!!!

Post by seren animation »

Is it 64bit or win7/8 only now because I got a not a valid win32 application on windows xp?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

XP is no longer supported in AS11 (same for Mac OS X 10.6). AS11 does run on 32bit Win7 and later kit.
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

I updated to v11, and the multiple screen setup issues I was experiencing in v10 and earlier have been (finally) resolved, I believe.

I undock the timeline, and position on my second screen on the left. I undock the tools, and position it on the main screen in the center. I then undock the layers panel, and position it on my third screen on the right, which is pivoted in portrait mode (allowing me to have a very long and extended layer panel!).

Previously, in v10 and before, after closing the application, all the windows would be collected and repositioned on the center main screen. Very frustrating.

And now it works as expected! Woohoo! (there is still a small issue when I maximize the main window in the center screen - the file menu appears on the left screen. Not maximizing it resolves this for now)

Well, so far so good. Loving the referenced layers and the fbf options.
pihms

Post by pihms »

I like the new logo. It stands out, looks professional, and gives a serious program feel to it. :D
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

It's clear to me that a focus of the new release is team work, but I'd love to see what some of the long time users see as some key uses are for the new features. Frame by frame is clear. So are some of the brush improvements, bone flipping and psd improvements (yay :) ) Not sure about best use cases for layer referencing for individuals (team value is clear).

I'm wondering if layer referencing might be good to solve issues such as a lack of animation control over stroke hiding. For body turns I'd like the stroke, near the armpit to be visible when the arm is in front and hidden when the arm is behind, so the stroke stops where the arm and body join. It would be great if stroke hiding (not just exposure) could be animated. There are work arounds in 10, stroke thickness on two multiple points and moving the point close or far away as well as patch layers, but there not nice. I'm wondering if this is a good example of how layer referencing could be use. Perhaps it could be a switch layer where the points are controlled in common but the layers only differ by whether or not particular strokes are hidden. If there's a better way I'd love to hear it.

Looking forward to what ideas people have for the new features.
Pinesal

Post by Pinesal »

I just grabbed the new version. I have been working with 9.2 until now.
strider2000 wrote: Not sure about best use cases for layer referencing for individuals (team value is clear).
For me anyway, layer referencing will be used to sync multiple layers of a single character, for example. I have different mouth switch layers for 6 different emotions and then I have front. 3/4 view, and side view versions of all those mouths. With referencing, I just have to animate one mouth and all the rest will sync.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

With referencing, I just have to animate one mouth and all the rest will sync.
Interesting. I've been focusing lately on a single character fig with body and head turns, but I see what you're saying. Thanks for sharing :)
jayfaker

Post by jayfaker »

So I'm running into some bugs in ASP 11. What would be the best way to report those?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

jayfaker wrote:So I'm running into some bugs in ASP 11. What would be the best way to report those?
Please write them in Bug Discussions. Then I will try to pass them to the developers.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Undiscovered

Post by Undiscovered »

@Pinesal I like your idea about using referencing to sync multiple layers. I just can't get my head wrapped around it fully. I love the idea but don't know how to set it up. Can anyone make a video tutorial showing how to use reference layers to sync multiple layers such as different mouth switch layers for 6 different emotions and then have front, 3/4 view, and side view versions of all those mouths. With referencing, I just have to animate one mouth and all the rest will sync?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Undiscovered wrote:@Pinesal I like your idea about using referencing to sync multiple layers. I just can't get my head wrapped around it fully. I love the idea but don't know how to set it up. Can anyone make a video tutorial showing how to use reference layers to sync multiple layers such as different mouth switch layers for 6 different emotions and then have front, 3/4 view, and side view versions of all those mouths. With referencing, I just have to animate one mouth and all the rest will sync?
I am planning a video tutorial on referencing for this weekend, will keep you posted!
Last edited by GCharb on Fri May 29, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pinesal

Post by Pinesal »

Undiscovered wrote:@Pinesal I like your idea about using referencing to sync multiple layers. I just can't get my head wrapped around it fully. I love the idea but don't know how to set it up. Can anyone make a video tutorial showing how to use reference layers to sync multiple layers such as different mouth switch layers for 6 different emotions and then have front, 3/4 view, and side view versions of all those mouths. With referencing, I just have to animate one mouth and all the rest will sync?
So basically, you create one mouth complete it. All other mouths have to have the same number of mouth shapes because everything will be based on the first mouth you make.

Make a reference copy of the first mouth, rename the folder but all layer within the folder have to be the same name as the referenced ones. Then you right click on each layer and break the reference. This will let the mouth shape layers be editable but the parent switch layer will still be synced. Then you go into each layer of the new mouth and edit it into the new mouths,
ThatsNotAllFolks

Post by ThatsNotAllFolks »

Hello everyone, I just upgraded to ASP11 and I am very excited as Im sure you are too. I have a question. Is this new version supposed to overwrite and delete the previous version? Reason I'm asking is because now I have both versions on my computer. If it was supposed to get rid of the older version (ASP10.1.3) then I must have done something wrong. I have a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.9.5

Thanks, Just trying to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

ThatsNotAllFolks wrote:Hello everyone, I just upgraded to ASP11 and I am very excited as Im sure you are too. I have a question. Is this new version supposed to overwrite and delete the previous version? Reason I'm asking is because now I have both versions on my computer. If it was supposed to get rid of the older version (ASP10.1.3) then I must have done something wrong. I have a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.9.5

Thanks, Just trying to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.
Personally, I had installed 3 versions of the software for months (9.5, 10 and 11 beta) without problems. Just be sure to use different folders for each and try to keep things clean.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel