Release date for Anime Studio 10.5/11

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Who would like to see a progress update on the next version of AS?

I would
100%
Don't care
No votes

Total votes: 25
jahnocli

Re: Release date for Anime Studio 10.5/11

Post by jahnocli »

The creators of Anime Studio (and Moho, in the distant past too, I believe) have never given advance notice of new releases. In fact, I seem to remember a post from Mike Clifton to that effect some time ago...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

So I will just hold on then, as long as I can upgrade. I wasn't sure if you lose the ability to upgrade if you miss a version.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh! I somehow missed the 'end of May' comment. Still, the tweet isn't very specific is it? For all we know, they could be releasing a new version then or it could mean they're only making an official announcement. Wait and see I guess. :)

G,
Tonymax

Post by Tonymax »

looks like its coming soon ;-) V11...

Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

Wow, that's some exciting news alright! 8)
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

They'll probably start registering people for the release webinar at the end of this week.

Also, I freakin' LOVE the artwork in this release. You really out-did yourself, Victor.
Tradley

Post by Tradley »

I got the newsletter too.
I hope it's very soon (and not too expensive).
Who says Moho is worse than Adobe Flash?!
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

It must be getting close.

Dale
mattchee

Post by mattchee »

I'm hoping the upgrade pricing structure is similar to what's currently in place for 10. I'm on 9.5, and was planning to upgrade to 10, but I figure now I'll wait.

Currently, the pricing looks like (in usd) $99 to upgrade from the last version, and $199 from earlier versions. So I'm hoping if I wait, I'll just do the $199 version when 11 comes out since that's basically the same as doing the single version upgrade twice.

Have pricing structures changed drastically when new versions come out? Or is this sound reasoning?
jezjones29

Post by jezjones29 »

Looks like we can now register for the webinar: http://my.smithmicro.com/anime-studio-webinars.html

Upcoming Anime Studio Webinar - Anime Studio 11 New Features Overview
Presented by: Members of the Anime Studio Team
Date: Tuesday, June 2, 2015
Time: 11:00AM PDT

Description: Get a look at the exciting new features in Anime Studio 11 in this 1-hour webinar presented by Mike Clifton, Fahim Niaz and Jason Cozy of the Anime Studio Team. Mike will show you how you can now do frame by frame animation in Anime Studio! He will also show you workflow game changers such as Layer Referencing, Animated Bone Targets and Animated Bone Parenting and when you can use them. See how changing the layer order of shapes in a single vector layer over time is now easy and how you can now flip a bone mid-animation allowing you to change an effect at any time. See all of this and more! The webinar will conclude with a Q & A session where your questions will be answered.
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Whoa……frame by frame animation? This is gonna be interesting!
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

So they FINALLY added support for layer referencing. If anyone attends the webinar, make sure to ask them if layer referencing actually references a single layer in memory or if the program is keeping multiple copies in memory and just copying coordinates from an active parent to the clones in the animation channel. This is a big deal when it comes to performance.

If the layer referencing is real then we are going to see significant performance boosts. Not only that, but file sizes should be a lot smaller. :D

Animated bone targets and animated bone parenting is going to be extremely useful for switching out body parts. For example, if you need to switch out a bone rigged front view chest with a side view chest, you'll run into issues with the head and legs since they can only be children of one of the chest pieces. Animated layer parenting should let us dynamically switch out the active bone parent to make switching out body parts a lot easier. Animated bone targets are sort of an extension of this concept, but I'm sure animators will come up with clever ways to make new uses of the feature.

The big things that Flash had over Anime Studio was Frame-by-Frame animation and layer referencing, but it looks like Anime Studio is closing that gap in this release and I think I speak for a lot of us when I say ... it's about time! :lol:
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

dkwroot wrote:So they FINALLY added support for layer referencing. If anyone attends the webinar, make sure to ask them if layer referencing actually references a single layer in memory or if the program is keeping multiple copies in memory and just copying coordinates from an active parent to the clones in the animation channel. This is a big deal when it comes to performance.
These are real references that can even be used between AS files, so we now have some measure of version control, as well as all the simple stuff the old meshinstance script did. You can break the referencing on specific animation channels you alter in the instance.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

synthsin75 wrote:
dkwroot wrote:So they FINALLY added support for layer referencing. If anyone attends the webinar, make sure to ask them if layer referencing actually references a single layer in memory or if the program is keeping multiple copies in memory and just copying coordinates from an active parent to the clones in the animation channel. This is a big deal when it comes to performance.
These are real references that can even be used between AS files, so we now have some measure of version control, as well as all the simple stuff the old meshinstance script did. You can break the referencing on specific animation channels you alter in the instance.
You can even break the reference for a single point and animate it in an independent way, but keeping all the other referenced. It's a very powerful and deep feature, cleverly implemented.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ooooooooh! Registerd...can't wait to see. :)

G.