Faster ram memory, faster rendering

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

PARKER

Faster ram memory, faster rendering

Post by PARKER »

Has anyone experienced any significant increase in AS rendering speed by buying faster ram?
I have, by overcloking my 16GB 1600 MHZ ram to 2200 MHZ, i would like to know if somebody else here use overcloking or any other method to improve AS performance.
sceech

Re: Faster ram memory, faster rendering

Post by sceech »

Beside computer modificition, maximize Anime's performance by deleting every possible Layer you're not using for that particular clip. (You can always make a copy before deleting Layers). Getting rid of everything you're not using for that exact render (even unused Switch layers), dramatically reduces rending time. Very line-intensive drawings slow things, so anything complicated your not using in that clip, delete.
chucky

Post by chucky »

I think Parker is well beyond the basic sceech, he is an expert user from way back. :)
Good of you to post for him though.
I would like to answer the question but my hardware upgrade normally go all in and AS upgrades so often always with significant improvements , so it's hard to keep track.
All I can say is. compared to a few years ago with an i5 and sixteen gig of ram on AS9 to an i7 running AS10.1 with 16 gig, the rendering just flies.
If I ram up and anything changes I will post.
I have no doubt that ram helps almost everything.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Can't say I have, but I got better performance by turning off multi-threading in my bios, going from 8 threads to only 4 cores.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

hey Parker, welcome back .. long time! I've never tried that approach - I just buy a bigger box - more cores, more RAM every couple of years ... do you have any quantitative data for "increase in AS rendering speed by buying faster ram"? IOW with the 1600 MHz to 2200 MHz change did you get a 27%-ish decrease in render time??
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

hayasidist wrote:hey Parker, welcome back .. long time! I've never tried that approach - I just buy a bigger box - more cores, more RAM every couple of years ... do you have any quantitative data for "increase in AS rendering speed by buying faster ram"? IOW with the 1600 MHz to 2200 MHz change did you get a 27%-ish decrease in render time??
I have a file that normally took 30 mins to render, when i oc my ram to 2200mhz it takes 21 mins.
Thats a 30% performance increase.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

yeah - pretty close to expected if render speed is largely down to how fast the memory can be accessed... IOW if the processor is fast enough the memory speed is the limiting factor -- so the even fastest processor with slow memory is going to be slow to render. But, as my old physics teacher always said "two point do not make a trend"...
npcomplete

Post by npcomplete »

PARKER wrote:
hayasidist wrote:hey Parker, welcome back .. long time! I've never tried that approach - I just buy a bigger box - more cores, more RAM every couple of years ... do you have any quantitative data for "increase in AS rendering speed by buying faster ram"? IOW with the 1600 MHz to 2200 MHz change did you get a 27%-ish decrease in render time??
I have a file that normally took 30 mins to render, when i oc my ram to 2200mhz it takes 21 mins.
I don't mean to be rude, but I find it hard to believe that RAM speed alone for rendering would decrease it by that much.
Did you do overclock from the bus/core clock speed? That would also overclock to CPU too.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

npcomplete wrote:
PARKER wrote:
I don't mean to be rude, but I find it hard to believe that RAM speed alone for rendering would decrease it by that much.
Did you do overclock from the bus/core clock speed? That would also overclock to CPU too.
I tried overcloking only the cpu (to 4.6mhz) then the cpu and the ram at the same time but neither gave me any improvement in rendering performance.
Then i tried only the ram and this last one was the one that worked.
Im not an expert at overclokcing, i just use Gigabyte App Center, its an application for Gygabite motherboards.
I use the profiles the application has for the ram so i do automatic overcloking not manual.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Methinks I'm upping my RAM, thanks.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

chucky wrote:
Methinks I'm upping my RAM, thanks.
You can try it yourself by overcloking the one you have and see the results.Mine is just a 16gb 1600mhz ram, most people have 1600 ram i think and you dont need to overclock it that high to 2200 to see the results.

I also plan on buying a fan for it soon since you got to be carefull with the temps of the ram.
llamapixel

Post by llamapixel »

If you have enough ram, and run a linux / osx environment make a ram disk and render into that for even faster results above Revo III hardware.