SVG import

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lebostein

SVG import

Post by Lebostein »

I am scanned the feature list on http://my.smithmicro.com/anime-compare.html
But I can't found f the svg import is possible. SVG is the standard format for vector based graphics...
dueyftw

Re: SVG import

Post by dueyftw »

Svg import is mess up. There seems to be no standards with SVG.

You can click and drag an svg into anime studio, but it will resize or if you change the setting in the preferences and import with out resizing the svg will be huge.

If you can, work with png's. Svg's will only save on memory if the image is simple. With complex images, png's will use less memory. My advice is not to use svg and stay with png if you can.

Dale
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

The fundamental difference between vector and pixel graphics you know? Svg is a vector/path based graphic! The same point and line structures as you work within anime studio. Png is a pixel graphic. You can not edit lines, points, polygones and fillings.

If a vector or svg graphic is to huge, then you can scale it smaller (or larger) without any loosing of quality. Try this with a png....

Or is it possible to vectorize a bitmap inside anime studio?
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

OK, I see the result of tracing in Anime Studio is not so good. I get a better result if I vectorize my image with Inkscape, save it as svg and import it to Anime Studio. Anime Studio has a problem with sharp edges. They are to smooth after tracing (detail reduction is minimal already).

Original
Traced with Inkscape
Traced with Anime Studio 10 Debut

Look at the face and the shoes. All details are lost and smooth with Anime Studio...
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

You ask about importing. Not tracing. They are very different. If you have an image sequence and are exporting from another program, use png and stay the hell away from svg. As you have seen with Inkscape, AS seems to have a different version of the format. In fact I'm using CACANi for some things and it doesn't import in to Inkscape correctly neither. It is as they each have their own version of the svg format.

The best approach is just to vector in Anime Studio. Inkscape has some drawing issues also.

Use the add points tool for most of your drawing. The free hand is almost useless and I only use it if I want unattached lines.

One more thing. If your like me, I first draw on paper and scan in. Then I trace. I have a 400 dollar Wacom tablet, but use a mouse. The mouse is faster a tracing.

Dale
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

You can import SVG fine in Anime Studio, at least in v10, here is an imported SVG file!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8brq4 ... _white.zip
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

You can import SVG fine in Anime Studio, at least in v10, here is an imported SVG file!

What program was the image drawn in?

Dale
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Gilles, it`s an excellent piece of work but you must have seen those gaps on the left horn, ears and some other smaller flaws.

The thing which makes usage of imported vectors difficult is type of available nodes. AS offers only symmetrical curved nodes and when you import vector file in AS, it adds nodes in order to "translate" asymmetrical curves, which than makes importing less reasonable due to the large number of nodes.

herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

dueyftw wrote:

What program was the image drawn in?

Dale
Since that is as GNU, I would hazard a guess, and say it was drawn in an open source application. Probably InkScape.

More info about this vector graphic:
http://www.gnu.org.ua/graphics/gnusvgart.html
Last edited by herbert123 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

Maestral is entirely correct. Unfortunately, SVG import in AS is severely flawed, and is unsuitable for serious work in my opinion, so I avoid it.

I'll give a very simple example that demonstrates some of the issues involved.

Original:

Result in AS:
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

Yes, the problem of Anime Studio is the restriction to symmetric nodes only. By the way, the smoothing control in Inkscape with the little bars at the right and the left is very intuitive and easy to handle. The "Curvature" control in Anime Studio is very restrictive and not easy to handle.