Animating on 2s with AS

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Animating on 2s with AS

Post by Víctor Paredes »

With the inclusion of intervals inside AS, we have the option to animate on 2s, 3s or whatever interval we want.
I always liked this feature, but I wasn't able to get good results with it. Now I finally got an idea to get good animations in 2s and want to share this "tutorial" with you.
The difference between animating on 1s (each single frame has animation) and animating on 2s (the movement holds each two frames) could seem subtle, but it opens a lot of possibilities, gives more control over the animation and also and gives the movement another -less computational- rhythm.
Please watch the video and give feedback :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRirQj7SIIw

PD: I decided to put my face on the video, so now you know who is talking (even if the camera angle is not the best) :)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Danimal

Re: Animating on 2's with AS

Post by Danimal »

GREAT tutorial! Thanks so much!
~Danimal
rrahh

Post by rrahh »

Thats nice!

especially the idea of using the marker as a guide for the 2s helps a lot.

Thank you.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Thanks so much for sharing this! I love the look of animation on 2s. Also convenient that adding the keyframe between the interval 2 keyframes seems to override the interval. It would be great to start out animating at 12fps so it's easier to work with, then to switch to 24fps, rescale, set interval to 2, and then fine-tune the ones for the snappy/fast animation. On the other hand, maybe that's more complicated. I guess it would depend on how much of the animation needs to be on ones.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Great mix of techniques Victor, you're getting the advantages of both methods.I will definitely consider this for future projects. :mrgreen:
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Thanks for sharing the marker trick Sensei Selgin - and the swimming hipster looks really amazing!! :)
zjjt

Post by zjjt »

hi guys i tried the marker trick doent work on my config.it just behaves like a normal keyframe when i do the cycle selgin did and doesnt show the blue marks along the timeline lenght...any solution ?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

zjjt wrote:hi guys i tried the marker trick doent work on my config.it just behaves like a normal keyframe when i do the cycle selgin did and doesnt show the blue marks along the timeline lenght...any solution ?
Update your AS to 10.1 or maybe 10.2 (the higher you find).
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Raaskot

Re: Animating on 2s with AS

Post by Raaskot »

Great! Combining markers+cycles as a "timeline grid" is a true creative and useful solution!
justoshow

Re: Animating on 2s with AS

Post by justoshow »

I'm late to the party, but I love this. I was wondering how to do this a while back. I'm definitely going to switch to twos.