Japanese anime Run

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

shift

Japanese anime Run

Post by shift »

I need some help improving this Anime Run. Any pointers please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B170rx6 ... e=youtu.be
eric1223

Re: Japanese anime Run

Post by eric1223 »

Okay I will try to help.

The body is too stiff. Try making the body squash and stretch, and bend doing the run cycle.

Make the hair alot more dynamic! The way she's running, it seems there should be more bounce to it.

Welp, that's all I can think of!
shift

Post by shift »

Thanks for the tips. I will work those in. I actually like how the run looks, but it still doesn't look professional. I want it to be the best it can be.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Nice run cycle! It looks like you're going for a stylized very fast run, like something you would see as the character attacks and with speed lines. I know I've seen similar run cycles in animes, but couldn't find an example. Here are some other examples of anime runs, though: http://youtu.be/-bgrKEoP3YM?t=53s They don't have the character leaning so far forward, the back is either straight or in a hunched shape, rather than arched the other direction, and the arms are pumping far forward. If you're looking for basic mechanics you could always do an image search for "Richard Williams Run Cycle." Williams has some realistic examples similar to the anime run cycles linked above, but also stylized run cycles similar to the one you've created in terms of back curvature and how far the character is leaning forward. Maybe experimenting with the different styles will get you to the look you want. Looking forward to seeing this progress!
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Terrific reference - thanks for sharing.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

I'm sure it's part of the style you're going for, but if someone actually ran tilted that far forward but with their arms behind them, they'd fall flat on their face. Other than that, it looks good.
~Danimal
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

It works for me since it's a stylized run. In a similar way, this reminds of another "wonky" run posted by Durand some time ago. It's completely unrealistic, but the effect is still fun.

@lwaxana, thanks for posting that blog.
EHEBrandon

Post by EHEBrandon »

To me the widths are way to big.... Like if you were doing a toon style it looks good... But for a anime style the widths just don't match.. But over all the animation isn't bad.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Just came across this run animation which seems really similar to yours:
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

lwaxana wrote:Just came across this run animation which seems really similar to yours:
The arms are in the right place though... :D
~Danimal