Duet - Glen Keane's new animated short

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ianmage1

Duet - Glen Keane's new animated short

Post by ianmage1 »

Glen Keane has always been my favorite animator. When he left Disney, I was worried that we'd never see anything from him again. But now I'm relieved to know that he's still creating wonders outside of Disney!
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ianmage1
Majoring in computer science doesn't leave much time for animation...
Danimal

Re: Duet - Glen Keane's new animated short

Post by Danimal »

Aw come on, I don't need to get all choked up first thing in the morning. How about a warning that this is beautifully sappy and sentimental in addition to being gorgeously animated and scored.
~Danimal
ianmage1

Post by ianmage1 »

Here's the "making of."

Glen Keane's a god; he, all by himself, hand-drew the entire thing in 60 FPS! We're going to have to wait for an official release before we can actually appreciate the frame rate though.

"This gives you 60 more possible images to describe an action with... Why wouldn't you want that?"
:shock:

The only thing I don't quite understand is why the engineers made such a big deal about putting the hand-drawn frames into a 3D space. Couldn't that hypothetically be done in Anime Studio? Couldn't the hand-drawn frames be given an alpha channel and then placed into an AS switch layer, set to "rotate to face camera" in order to prevent the distortion of the drawings? I'm only being hypothetical; I know that AS, on the technological side, couldn't handle Glen Keane's drawings [even after compression]. But is the technique really anything special? Or were they only referring to the challenges of implementing the animation into the smart phone's gyroscope-parallax feature...?

Please inform me of what I'm missing before I completely lose my mind...
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Cool! Thanks for sharing! I'm guessing the engineering challenges were related to the interactive functions that he mentions at 11:13.
Droxon

Post by Droxon »

Beautiful and amazing work!

I believe it has something to do with the interactive version for mobile devices.
I'm guessing that when you rotate the device the images are also going to rotate a bit?

I suppose is going to be kind of an app, rather than just a regular video and they were programming that (3D) effect .

Because if it was just a regular video, it could have been done just with frame by frame, and he wouldn't bother with all the extra work.

of course this is just what i'm guessing, so i guess we'll have to wait and see.
ianmage1

Post by ianmage1 »

That's what I was thinking... the gyroscope-parallax technology for mobile devices. At 4:18, of the video, you can see that the frames were warped in the 3D space to make, what appears to be, part of a panorama with a parallax. Now it all makes sense.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

ianmage1, thanks for posting. I am now a fan of Glen Keane. I wonder if he and Sylvain Chomet ever collaborated?
Cheers, Larry