Inserting an animated gif, possible?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

trantornator

Inserting an animated gif, possible?

Post by trantornator »

Hi everyone,

I'm building a little animation using some old computer sprites as background characters and was wondering if it's possible to have animated gifs run in their own loops during an animation project or if I have to break them down and switch the frames out manually in AS? I'm using version 9.

I would love to just ahve them look on their own. :)
synthsin75

Re: Inserting an animated gif, possible?

Post by synthsin75 »

AS doesn't support animated gifs. You'll have to break them down into image sequences for switches.
trantornator

Post by trantornator »

I was afraid of that, but was worth a try. Thanks. :)
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

If you've got Flash, here's a quick way to do it (Just tried it on my old version of Flash 8,, works fine):

1) Import animated gif to Flash -- choose 'Stage' to import it to
2) Export animation as Movie, image sequence -- choose 24 bit PNG sequence with transparency
3) Choose a name for sequence ending in a number, press go (or whatever it is!)
4) You now have an image sequence to import into AS complete with preserved transparency
5) Ta da!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Also, if you have Quicktime pro, you can open your gif and save it as mov (but I'm not sure if it maintains the alpha).
Opening gif with quicktime is also very useful to quickly analyse them frame by frame.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Lostmymarbles

Post by Lostmymarbles »

You can break the gif up as previously advised by other users, I would personally use Jasc-animation studio ( $89 I think) and save the individual frames as JPEGS, then use a switch layer to move between them.
I've used online convert a couple of times ,for video mostly but it does also convert gifs- I feel a switch layer - with a bone layer to control it and allow scaling is the best option.

http://www.online-convert.com

I've reedited this comment - as I hadn't tested it for gifs earlier on !
Last edited by Lostmymarbles on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everybody shoot me ....
Poptoogi

Post by Poptoogi »

The absolute easiest way I've found to do this is to convert it to an .mov (as the others have said) by using this online conversion site.

http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-mov

It is super easy, and more importantly it's FREE. This way you don't to buy, open up or download another program. Just go here and do it online in seconds!!!
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!