Moho for Linux and sound

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bogush_r

Moho for Linux and sound

Post by bogush_r »

1. Current version of Moho for Linux won`t working with sound (menu option "Select Soundtrack" is disabled). Maybe sound features will be included in the next version (or subversion) of the linux Moho?

2. Copy/Paste operations on the bones will be good feature, IMHO.
Rai López

Re: Moho for Linux and sound

Post by Rai López »

bogush_r wrote:2. Copy/Paste operations on the bones will be good feature, IMHO.
...YES! 8)
suoko

Post by suoko »

moho without sound support is nearly useless, I guess
7feet

Post by 7feet »

The main difficultiy is that the core audio requires Quicktime. And don't get me started on that subject. And I'll also be jumping out on a limb here, as I don't use Linux a whole lot. But a viable, if clunky, alternative would be to make up a video "cue sheet" (whether with words, images, random visuals) in the video editor of your choice, to your soundtrack, and import that video into Moho as a guide track. Something like closed captioning. I know, its a beast, but if you have no other option...

It's just my own stupid opinion, really, suoko, but I just had the thought that saying that Moho without sound is useless is akin to saying the wheel without an internal combustion engine is useless. Okay, its hyperbolic and a bit ridiculous, but that was my point. Just cause something is not a Swiss Army Knife doesn't make it useless. If it even does one thing well, thats still kinda cool. You have to work with the limitations of the tool.

But I still agree that a lack of sound in Linux is certainly a pain for the users who are on that OS. Maybe if Apple would get on the ball, and provide Quicktime for Linux, all would be well on that front.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

This is a "forum", right? We can discuss here, right? :-)

I realize that moho is tied to quicktime and that quicktime isn't available for linux (nor do I suspect it ever will). However, I would like to discuss an alternative that Lost Marble might investigate for future versions.

SDL - Simple DirectMedia Layer

http://www.libsdl.org/

It's available for a variety of platforms, has a variety of bindings for different languages. I'm not a c++ programmer, so I don't know how difficult it would be to use, but wouldn't the API at least be similar to quicktime?

It would just be nice to have for linux:

- papagayo
- lip syncing in moho
- exporting to a video format, with audio, like mpeg

This is the feature request page, right?

Thanks for listening.

jorgy
sciboy

Post by sciboy »

Having sound support under Moho would kick much ass. Trying to sync animations with audio is a serious pain without it. :D
(I don't use switch's when it comes to lip syncing. I prefer smoother movement.)

Are we looking for an audio library or a codec library?

Either way there are many solutions available,

libavcodec, part of the FFMPEG project may have the features that are required since most of the multimedia tools i see under linux use it, for encoding and decoding.
Although for just audio that may be overkill... *cough*libvorbis*cough*

As far as just being able to communicate with audio hardware, OpenAL, and FMOD appear to be popular choices.

There is alot of concern however when it comes down to licensing, since FFMPEG for example, uses alot of patented formats and if used commercially could lead to some legal issues.
However, if you either stick with free formats (OGG for example), or dynamically linking it (keep the library seperate from the application) you may be able to bypass such issues.
But then again, i have absolutely no understanding of such legal biz, and more research would have to be done on the topic before any actions can be taken.

I would like to hear what lostmarble has to say on the matter.

--Sciboy
_seb_

Quicktime API for Linux

Post by _seb_ »

I think the best way is to try to use a compatible Quicktime API for Linux (ie. find a compatibles libraries).

You may keep a eye on:
http://heroinewarrior.com/quicktime.php3
http://libquicktime.sourceforge.net/
http://www.openquicktime.org

The last one seems to be the best for what LostMarble team wants. Maybe, it's enough to support a complet linux version of Moho (and, why not, the others LostMarble products).

I hope we (linux users) will use a Moho version with sound very soon. In this way, it should be a good advantage for the LostMarble products (increase customers market).
seanroth

Post by seanroth »

I partially agree with moho being useless without sound. It's not totally useless. It's just ridiculus trying to make a cartoon without sound...