AS10: Change target bone during animation

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

luckynth

AS10: Change target bone during animation

Post by luckynth »

Hello all. I am working on a dancing girl, and would like her foot to have a target bone on the floor, so that when she jumps her legs extends, when she squats her knees bow ... things like that.

The problem is that I would also like to move her legs independently when she jumps, so that she can kick in the air. Is there a way to key the assignment of a target bone, so that I can switch it off when I don't need it and switch it on when I do?

Thanks!
Danimal

Re: AS10: Change target bone during animation

Post by Danimal »

This question was asked in the webinar, and the answer was no.
~Danimal
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I am having trouble understanding what the purpose of changing target bones are?

If the dancing girl is "in the air" and needs to kick her legs, can't you use the same target bone for this? Switching target bones would either cause the leg to "smoothly" transition aiming to another bone, or it would "jump" suddenly to another bone target. In either case couldn't this be done using one target?

Another option would be two bones, a parent and child.
The child would be the target bone.

You now have two separate bones. The targeting works by translating either bone. It also works if you rotate the parent bone. Still, not much different than one bone... the rotation of the parent is nice though as it allows for circular translations of the target using the parent instead of straight, linear translations.

I admit I may not understand what you need exactly.
luckynth

Post by luckynth »

Danimal wrote:This question was asked in the webinar, and the answer was no.
Thanks. I missed the webinar. Appreciate the update.
luckynth

Post by luckynth »

The problem is that, even with angle constraints, moving the target bone produces erratic results.

I guess what I'm struggling with is what seems to be that I have to choose between freely moving chains of bones OR using targets. I get what you're saying though and as always I appreciate the response! I'm definitely going to explore the parenting option you suggest.
heyvern wrote:I am having trouble understanding what the purpose of changing target bones are?

If the dancing girl is "in the air" and needs to kick her legs, can't you use the same target bone for this? Switching target bones would either cause the leg to "smoothly" transition aiming to another bone, or it would "jump" suddenly to another bone target. In either case couldn't this be done using one target?

Another option would be two bones, a parent and child.
The child would be the target bone.

You now have two separate bones. The targeting works by translating either bone. It also works if you rotate the parent bone. Still, not much different than one bone... the rotation of the parent is nice though as it allows for circular translations of the target using the parent instead of straight, linear translations.

I admit I may not understand what you need exactly.