Anime Studio Pro 10 - Can't Edit Motion Graph

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

macmonkey_1975

Anime Studio Pro 10 - Can't Edit Motion Graph

Post by macmonkey_1975 »

Hi Guys,
I've just upgraded to ASP v10 and I can no longer select, move or change the interpolation of any keyframes in the Motion Graph Editor. I am working on a Macbook Pro Retina running OSX 10.8.5. Is anyone else having this issue or is it just me!!
Any help would be much appreciated.
Dave
Last edited by macmonkey_1975 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Genete

Re: Anime Studio Pro 10 - Can't Edit Motion Graph

Post by Genete »

Works here, ASP 10.0 on Windows XP 32 bits. Be sure to double click the channel to make the keys appear.
-G
macmonkey_1975

Post by macmonkey_1975 »

Genete wrote:Works here, ASP 10.0 on Windows XP 32 bits. Be sure to double click the channel to make the keys appear.
-G
Hi Genete,
Thank you for your reply. Yep i have double clicked the channel. I can see the keys but I just can't edit them at all :(
I am glad that it is working for you though.
Have fun
Dave.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I have the same OS, same computer (macbook pro, OS 10.8.5) and graph mode works fine for me too.
macmonkey_1975

Post by macmonkey_1975 »

heyvern wrote:I have the same OS, same computer (macbook pro, OS 10.8.5) and graph mode works fine for me too.
Hi Heyvern,
Thank you for your reply. Bugger… I had hoped it might be a common issue. I updated to the latest version of OS 10.8.5. I've restarted my laptop deactivated AS 10 re-downloaded and reinstalled it all of which didn't help.
Is there some way to reset the startup preferences or anything like that?! If not I guess the next step might be to upgrade to Mavericks?!

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Many thanks in advance
Dave
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Dave,
I'm on an iMac running OSX 10.8.5 and the motion graph is working properly for me also. Keys are editable. I'm not sure what could be causing the problem for you . . . is this the only issue that you've discovered?
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

This is prime example of why you need to do a system image back-up and re-image it periodically. I know people who do this on a monthly basis because the OS becomes corrupted over time and starts doing weird things. Unfortunately, it sounds like this is what is going on with you as others with the same system aren't experiences these problems.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Is this a "global" problem? Does it effect ALL files?

Are you absolutely certain you are clicking the bone channel in graph mode to edit the keys? Can you show a screen capture or better, a video screen recording of not being able to edit the keys in graph mode?

My initial guess is some type of "user error". Don't get upset. Everyone, even those with tons and tons of experience and intelligence will make a mistake. When motion graph was first added to ASP I actually was a total idiot trying to make it work consistently. Sometimes it worked, sometimes I had a heck of a time getting it to work. It all came down to "user error". Even geniuses can suffer from user error. It's not a sign of being stupid. I have done this many many times. Absolutely perfectly certain I am doing something right only to discover I made a simple silly mistake... a "head slap" moment. ;)

Keep in mind this is a guess. It would help to completely rule out user error before you go down the road of a new OS or reinstalling etc etc since there doesn't appear to be anything with the OS that would cause this problem.

Based on only an "anecdotal" description, there is no way to absolutely rule out some type of user error. A video showing how the keys are not editable could help.
macmonkey_1975

Post by macmonkey_1975 »

heyvern wrote:Is this a "global" problem? Does it effect ALL files?

Are you absolutely certain you are clicking the bone channel in graph mode to edit the keys? Can you show a screen capture or better, a video screen recording of not being able to edit the keys in graph mode?

My initial guess is some type of "user error". Don't get upset. Everyone, even those with tons and tons of experience and intelligence will make a mistake. When motion graph was first added to ASP I actually was a total idiot trying to make it work consistently. Sometimes it worked, sometimes I had a heck of a time getting it to work. It all came down to "user error". Even geniuses can suffer from user error. It's not a sign of being stupid. I have done this many many times. Absolutely perfectly certain I am doing something right only to discover I made a simple silly mistake... a "head slap" moment. ;)

Keep in mind this is a guess. It would help to completely rule out user error before you go down the road of a new OS or reinstalling etc etc since there doesn't appear to be anything with the OS that would cause this problem.

Based on only an "anecdotal" description, there is no way to absolutely rule out some type of user error. A video showing how the keys are not editable could help.
Hi Heyvern,
Thank you for your help I have uploaded a screen recording to youtube here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNI7SDY5xbA
It shows me initially not being able to edit keyframes in the Motion graph in AS10 and then in the second part I move to an AS 9.5 document and show them working just fine. I don't think it's user error…
Any ideas?!
Many thanks in advance
Dave
macmonkey_1975

Post by macmonkey_1975 »

… and here is another clip.
http://youtu.be/9Dehij6Q1Uw
This time a blank document, where i create a new bone layer and try and edit the animation in the Motion Graph including trying to right click and change interpolation type. I then show how I am able to rearrange keyframes and change interpolation type in the channels editor.
If any one has any ideas I would be very grateful :)
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I could be wrong but it looks from the video like you just haven't got the key selected first?
macmonkey_1975

Post by macmonkey_1975 »

AmigaMan wrote:I could be wrong but it looks from the video like you just haven't got the key selected first?
Hi AmigaMan,
Thank you for jumping on board :)
Do you mean the key on the motion graph?! If so part of the problem is that I can't select the keyframes most of the time, but when i can i can't move them
I have uploaded another clip here:
http://youtu.be/Jup-zRnWHtY

Thanks again
Dave
macmonkey_1975

Post by macmonkey_1975 »

I'm using a Macbook Pro with Retina display. I am wondering whether that pesky HiDpi display be causing the problems?!
Has anyone here got AS10 to play nice with a retina mac?!
Many thanks in advance
Dave
macmonkey_1975

Post by macmonkey_1975 »

Hi Guys,
Thank you all for your input on this issue. It seems that Anime Studio Pro 10 is not compatible with Retina Displays.
Below is a quote from Smith Micro Tech Support:
There is a known issue with the Retina Display not being able to handle the Motion Graph.
This was suppose to be in the Readme, but apparently was not included.
This will be addressed in an update.
I guess at least I can stop worrying that it's just me. I hope they sort it out soon!!!
Many thanks everyone once again
Dave
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

I confirmed this issue - it seems to only affect Macs with Retina displays. We'll work on a fix for the next update, but in the meantime here's a workaround:

If you select the Anime Studio application in the Finder, and choose the Finder's "File->Get Info" menu command, the information window will come up. Check the box labeled "Open in Low Resolution", restart Anime Studio, and the graph mode should be usable again.