Bending a finger toward camera

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

3deeguy

Bending a finger toward camera

Post by 3deeguy »

It's somewhat crude at the moment but it means you can curl fingers over a palm or reach toward the camera and grab a handle, front view. I want expressive hands for a character who will speak to the camera, front view. Layer ordering or masking wasn't needed which was great. There is a point where the finger tip is too flat but I will use reference photos to correct it. I love Smartbones!
Cheers, Larry
ddrake

Re: Bending a finger toward camera

Post by ddrake »

Good start. Are you just using smart bones for this? I would say that the finger tip should probably scale a little larger with the foreshortening. Right now inadvertently giving the illusion that it's just kind of shrinking or deflating on itself rather than poking forward.
-ddrake
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

ddrake wrote:Right now inadvertently giving the illusion that it's just kind of shrinking or deflating on itself rather than poking forward.
Exactly my thoughts. But it's certainly getting there!
~Danimal
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

I got excited because I just solved a problem that's eluded me for a long time! I've gone to bed many times with this on my brain. I want to be able to make a hand that closes fingers and thumb over a palm and points a forshortened finger directly at the camera but I have a bit more to learn. I'm not consistent yet. I do think I've solved the basic issue so I'm happy for the moment.
BTW, thanks for the quick replies!
Cheers, Larry
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Here is a look at my progress. I forgot to explain how I rigged the finger so I guess I'll explain it later if I can finish the job. The hand is tough to animate front view!

Cheers, Larry
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Thanks for the breakdown tutorial. Looking forward to seeing it as it progresses
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Little Yamori, thanks for the encouragement. I'm still wondering how to build an animated 'front view' hand. I hope to get there soon.
Cheers, Larry
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Just about ready to call it a night, when I looked on Selgin's (Victor's) Youtube channel and saw his amazing work (stunning actually). And Since you were working on hands, I thought this animation breakdown he did was fantastic (though for a different technique).

Thought you'd appreciate it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8abDEKbn ... A9479F5A31
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

'El Maestro' is a genius. It would not surprise me one bit if SmithMicro flew him in from Chile to do trade shows and webinars. He's that good! Thankfully, when he innovates, he creates tutorials for us.
Cheers, Larry
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

The only thing is that it seems to all bend forward at once. That's not how I normally observe fingers bending. They would normally bend from the top down. So that last big bone (nearest the hand) would bend last. In the front view, it sort of just looks like the middle segment of the finger is crushed by the top rather than moving forward.

If it were quicker, and not something over and over again to scrutinize, it would definitely work though.
~Danimal
ddrake

Post by ddrake »

I was fortunate enough to be able to meet Victor because a local animator was interested in learning AS after frustrations working with Flash, and she flew him in because he's that good. Also a really nice guy. Definitely wish he'd been able to stick around longer. I think then he was off to represent smith micro at a comic con in san diego maybe? Anyway, thank goodness we have his services on the forum :)
-ddrake
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Thank you very much for the nice words. I don't feel too comfortable with all that "el maestro" thing anyway... :roll:
As Dan wrote, I had the privilege to be on his town, invited by the animator Nina Paley. Everyone there was extremely nice with me and I had the pleasure to met Dan Drake in a little talk I gave about AS in an Illinois University room. We talked about animation and I'm very happy to see his works here (you have seen he has posted some very cool tests and ideas).
Since it was my first time in the US, I wrote to Michi and Fahim and they invited me to work with them at the San Diego Comic-Con. The entire trip was fantastic and I had the opportunity to know a lot of good people from Smith Micro. I really wish to be able to travel again someday. I'm sure I'll do someway, I miss them all and I would love to know more people from the community too.

Ok, that's the story in short, I'm sorry for the big off-topic.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Quote by Danimal
The only thing is that it seems to all bend forward at once. That's not how I normally observe fingers bending. They would normally bend from the top down. So that last big bone (nearest the hand) would bend last. In the front view, it sort of just looks like the middle segment of the finger is crushed by the top rather than moving forward.
I wonder if I can even do what I want to. The 'front view' finger needs three layers. I haven't gotten far enough to know how many I'll need for the whole hand. Each finger has three joints and the hand at the wrist is a fourth joint. Does it make sense to try? I don't know but I want to find out.
selgin, I promise not refer to you as 'El Maestro' even though you made the Beatles 'walk' across Abbey Rd and books come to 'life'!
Cheers, Larry