Overlapping parts of a vector image

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

petes80

Overlapping parts of a vector image

Post by petes80 »

Hi all

Newbie here trying my hand at animation. I have worked my way through a number of tutorials and I'm getting used to the basics, however I'm struggling with one aspect and that's getting the right parts of vector images I draw to appear above the others (within the same layer). 2 recent examples of this are with drawing chairs and drawing a hand in a grip position. With the chairs, I couldn't get the legs to position themselves behind the seat part so I had to make sure they were exactly lined up. It worked out in the end but was much more fiddely than if I could just have the legs positioned behind the seat. With the hand in a grip position, the tips of the fingers overlap the other finger, where there is an overlap, the fill goes transparent and you can actually see the scene behind.

I'm sure it must be really easy to bring points forward or set them back so it all looks right but I just can't find it. Can someone enlighten me please :)

Many thanks.

Pete
slowtiger

Re: Overlapping parts of a vector image

Post by slowtiger »

You're already on the right track.

Once you've created shapes, get the Shape select tool (Q), select a shape, go to Draw menu and choose lower/rise shape to get it behind or before another shape.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Hutch

Post by Hutch »

With the overlapping fingers, it sounds like they are one shape. To get them to overlap properly you probably need to make each finger it's own separate shape then use select shape tool as slowtiger said. Also you can just use the up/down arrows once the shape is selected to move it up or down in the "stack" for that layer (on PC anyway).
petes80

Post by petes80 »

Thanks for your help! that's done the trick. You were right, my hand and fingers were all one shape. After making each finger a shape I was able to get the display order correct :)