Hide Edge Animatable

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lwaxana

Hide Edge Animatable

Post by lwaxana »

It would be so convenient if we could animate "Hide Edge."
Hutch

Re: Hide Edge Animatable

Post by Hutch »

I would find this useful too.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

For this I use stroke exposure and set the key frame to step.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

you can also put an extra point at each edge of the line you'd like hidden and use line width for the line you'd like to hide instead
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Thanks for these great ideas sbtamu and funksmaname! I will try them out on my project. The workaround I have been using is to create several extra points in the hidden and non-hidden portion and slide them around as needed, but it is really messy. I think these workarounds will work a lot better. Thanks for your help!
KuzKuz

Post by KuzKuz »

I love Anime Studio. This is my main software for animation for 6 years. I want to share thoughts on this subject. I too long waiting for this feature. Even few years ago I wrote to support with this request... I can hide edge or show edge with "hand-made patch", but it not user friendly and don't give me feel freedom. I want to feel professional tools instead of thinking how to do without them.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

KuzKuz wrote:I love Anime Studio. This is my main software for animation for 6 years. I want to share thoughts on this subject. I too long waiting for this feature. Even few years ago I wrote to support with this request... I can hide edge or show edge with "hand-made patch", but it not user friendly and don't give me feel freedom. I want to feel professional tools instead of thinking how to do without them.
Ok, I'll write a report asking for animated hide edge. Wish us luck :)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
KuzKuz

Post by KuzKuz »

selgin wrote:
KuzKuz wrote:I love Anime Studio. This is my main software for animation for 6 years. I want to share thoughts on this subject. I too long waiting for this feature. Even few years ago I wrote to support with this request... I can hide edge or show edge with "hand-made patch", but it not user friendly and don't give me feel freedom. I want to feel professional tools instead of thinking how to do without them.
Ok, I'll write a report asking for animated hide edge. Wish us luck :)
Thanks! :)
sillyanimate

Post by sillyanimate »

oh gawd this would make everyone lives better
Don't forget! No one is perfect!
Glen Crowell

Post by Glen Crowell »

Yes, I've wanted this for years. Everybodies workarounds are good, but just like many other things that are now animatable, like shape order, layer order, target on and off, changing bone parenting, etc. it would be much appreciated.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

I've bumped Victor's original request (back in 7/2014) for this! (Mantis 32485 for those who care about such things)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Okay, I have written an animated hide edge tool, but I have a question before releasing it. Like my animated shape sorting tool (before that became a stock feature), it uses a switch to keep track of the hide edge keyframes. Since switches can now show either dot or long pill keyframes, depending on whether they're interpolating sublayers, which one would people prefer the tool to automatically set it up as?

You can always change it whenever you want, but I thought it would be nice to have it default to what most people prefer.

Features include:
  • Automatically showing the keyframe switch on the timeline whenever its vector layer is selected.
  • Hotkey "?"(shft+/) to toggle between the vector layer and its hide edge keyframe switch (there seems to be a bug that won't let you copy/paste keyframes of unselected layers shown in the timeline).
Notes:
  • I tried using layer markers for the keyframes, so they would be on the same layer, but the notes I have write to them made it too hard to see the actual keyframes. New idea...I might try using layer metadata with markers, to see if I can remove the visual clutter but still use those as keyframes. Does anyone use vector layer markers much?
  • I haven't tested this on a large project yet, so I don't know how well it may perform. There may be some things I can do to optimize it, if needed.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Update on the progress of animated syn_hide_edge tool.
  • Did successfully use layer markers as keyframes, and it's very nice to not need the extra switch layer for each vector layer you want to animate hide edge on...
    ...BUT it wouldn't work with smart bones. I don't think anyone would have a use for a version that doesn't support smart bones.
  • That actually simplifies things to go back to switch layers for the keyframes.
Any preference on the keyframes being dots or pills?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks for making this Wes. I'm planning to make a Brudders 'mini-short' for fun this weekend. I'll give it try then and post some feedback.

We really do need this feature natively, though. At my workplace, it can be a big process getting third party tools approved for use at work, so it's better for us there when a feature we need just comes with the program. (That or we write it ourselves at work. Some of the guys I work with can do that easily but I still have a lot catching up to do in that area. Sigh!) :P

Ugh...I actually need this feature right now at work. Thanks, Funksmaname! Your tip about keyframing width is coming through for me. :D
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Thanks for the reminder, Dennis. I thought I had this done and had already moved on to something else (better hide bone), but it's still not quite working how I'd like.

Trying to get it to gracefully handle newly added shapes after some animation has been done. And it's never going to gracefully handle deleting shapes after animating hide edge.