360 degree smart bone

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hutch

360 degree smart bone

Post by Hutch »

Hi there. I would like to know if there is a way to make a smart bone where 360 degrees is the same as 0. So if it goes thru a full rotation the angle doesn't just keep increasing beyond 360. The effect I want would be similar to a bone with -180 to 180 limits except that it wouldn't have to go backward to continue rotating. The application I have in mind is an elbow. Sorry if the question is unclear. Thanks in advance for any guidance. If what I want is impossible maybe there is a work around?
heyvern

Re: 360 degree smart bone

Post by heyvern »

There's no way to do that currently.

I know what you mean though. It would be nice to be able to "spin a bone" in either direction and always have the smart bones work the same way. Sort of a "relative" smart bone rotation.

You could add multiple "cycles" of the keys in a smart bones you can at least rotate the bone several times, this would require either a bunch of extra keys or some cycle keys to get it right.

The other trick is to find a spot to "reset" the bone to zero rotation during animation so you can rotate in the opposite direction smoothly.
Hutch

Re: 360 degree smart bone

Post by Hutch »

Thanks Vern. I think I will try adding cycles like you suggest. I doubt I would ever need to do complete rotations. I just want to be able to start at any angle and get to any new angle in either direction.