Mods Add Bone and Select Bone tools 9.5 only

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

videodv

Mods Add Bone and Select Bone tools 9.5 only

Post by videodv »

I am just testing these mods out and thought I would ask for peoples thoughts on the mods of the lm_add_bone and lm_select_bone tools in 9.5

You select names for the bones from the menu and it will add colours to the bones as you add them.

Warning do not overwrite your existing copy

Place these version in your content/scripts/tools folder and the bone_icons folder in the scriptresources folder (can be in your content/scripts folder if not you can create one there)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/662 ... %20Mods.7z

And here a is a win zip version. (edited to add this)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/662 ... %20Zip.zip

I have updated this to work on V10 here is the link all other files are the same
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/662 ... boneV10.7z

This is an early stage test as such the naming is still to be worked on they can be changed easily enough to your own workflow.

Regards
Chris.
Last edited by videodv on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
videodv

Re: Mods Add Bone and Select Bone tools 9.5 only

Post by videodv »

I have been using these mods now for a couple of days and for myself it is now a breeze to set standard bone names and/or colours.

You can download the latest version from above if you do not have it and think it will help your own workflow.

Regards
Chris.
chucky

Post by chucky »

HI Chris,
I really like this , I might have to modify left and right to A and B though as left and right doesn't support flipping.
Actually I have done that now I want to change the colours,
For speedy and organised animation, and due to the order in the timeline channels I normally use from the top down...

purple ... facial controls - mostly external smart bones
blue ...all spinal bones head neck chest hips spine
Green and yellow ... arms
Orange and Red ... Legs

I've tried a few methods this works the best for me.

Still I love the concept, automatically giving colours per name really helps organisation and anything that saves typing is a boon.
I reckon there could be even more ways to get this to be fast and fluid by defaulting names as they are added to parent bones, so if a bone is connected to a 'Bicep', then that automatically becomes 'Forearm' then hand etc.

Thanks heaps for posting and generously sharing this tool mod.
I wish it didn't have the lm prefix, I don't know how to change that without breaking stuff... :(
Also I need shoulder and wrist bones in the standard rig .

Chris I have changed all the colours in the script exactly where I changed the names but the colours haven't changed , what am I doing wrong?
videodv

Post by videodv »

Hi Chucky

I set the names to be generic so they are easy to follow and change as you have found, I also set the colours as I felt at the time no perticual reason just the way they came out.

Not sure why you are having trouble resetting the colours as you can see from this snippet

bone:SetName("Chest")
self.boneName:SetValue("Chest")
bone:SetTags(1) -- Red - this is the where you set the bone colour only 1 - 6

Do not use this section as I fogot to take it out :oops:

--local tag = 0
--if (msg == self.COL_RED) then
-- tag = 1
--elseif (msg == self.COL_ORANGE) then
-- tag = 2
--elseif (msg == self.COL_YELLOW) then
-- tag = 3
--elseif (msg == self.COL_GREEN) then
-- tag = 4
--elseif (msg == self.COL_BLUE) then
-- tag = 5
--elseif (msg == self.COL_PURPLE) then
-- tag = 6
I reckon there could be even more ways to get this to be fast and fluid by defaulting names as they are added to parent bones, so if a bone is connected to a 'Bicep', then that automatically becomes 'Forearm' then hand etc.
Will have a play with this and see what I can come up with.

Gald you like it I will update the script to put in Shoulder options in the next update the Wrist is already in the script under the "Hand" drop down.

Regards
Chris.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Thanks Heaps Chris, that last post made it very easy to re- colour the bones.

I just thought I'd mention another couple of important bones for a standard rig for many people.
Root and Back or (Waist)

I kind of assume you do know this but I'm covering it all anyway, so forgive me if I sound patronising, I hate that... :oops: just a side effect of talking from scratch.

Many rigs start at the root then have a downwards pointing hip bone to get that swinging hips thing going, works great with IK.
Then also from the Root bone they go back up the Back bones (often numbered ) .
I personally limit the bones here and go with in ASP
Root , Waist, Chest, Neck, Head.... All Blue same with the associated layers.

I am no programmer and it is only down to your help and clear scripting that I have managed to make the minute mods that I have.
So adding in those extra bones may be a disaster to try even if I think it might be straight forward.

I really have to commend you on this script, it is a great time saver and organiser, I think maybe could be something worth integrating into the program as it could really help noobs and pros alike.
Anything that standardises stuff to a few common variables is really worthy.

I'm thinking if there was a way of choosing standard rig 'sets or' creating them that could be really great.
I notice you have seen Mike Kelley's Autorig concept , that's cool hey?
http://www.kelleytown.com/forum/animato ... IC_ID=1921
Your mod deserves a place amongst the classics. :D
chucky

Post by chucky »

Actually adding bones proved to be really easy Yeah!
Just had to what the STNDCHARACTERSELECT number..... and boom. :D
Too cool.
videodv

Post by videodv »

Hi Chucky

Very good suggestions I have the following in mind what do you think?

As far as loading default/your own character sets this is doable but I will have to write a script on its own for that (as not enough room on the menu bar to place the drop downs) what do you think about having a seperate script for this? something along the lines of setup your bones then select the new script load in your character set for the rig (i.e two legged or four legged characters smart bone setups ect) not sure myself as it may be a step to far but I will have a quick look and see.

Regards
Chris.
chucky

Post by chucky »

That's really sensible Chris , having the dividers in there.
It is really clear.
Actually you just reminded me, I forgot to actually put the shoulders in, hehe. :oops:

I wonder if the list could have a variable nature, so that Upstage/Downstage (U/D), Left/Right and L/R or A/B could be selected ao then the list changes in accordance.
Maybe Mike would have some tips about how he did that for his as yet unreleased autorigger script?
videodv

Post by videodv »

Hi Chucky

I have been thinking about loading your own setups and I like the idea so give me a couple of days to tinkle with this mod and see what I can come with.

I like your ideas chucky so will look at them as well.

Regards
Chris.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Cool Chris... :D :D :D
videodv

Post by videodv »

I have wipped together a quick routine that will load in your own rig setups and integrated this into the mod (looking good so far), I have a couple of tweeks to sort out will do this tomorrow so hopfully all will be sorted shortly.

Regards
Chris.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Wicked :twisted:
videodv

Post by videodv »

Hi Chucky

I have only been able to get about an hour on this today but I think I have it all worked out now it seems to be working fine in the add bone tool.

I will do some more checks and tests tomorrow and if alls well will upload tomorrow evening (london uk time)

Regards
Chris.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Sweet :D Can't wait to try it.
I've already been advertising it's effectiveness to the scurvy lads.
videodv

Post by videodv »

Hi Chucky

I have uploaded the latest version to the link above so just re-download and give it a tryout and let me know if you have any problems, you may want to save the current versions you have first just in case of a problem.

Just click the load button to load from the Bone Rig folder you saved.

I find this mod very useful myself a and time saver to boot, glad you are finding this useful as well
I've already been advertising it's effectiveness to the scurvy lads.
:)

Regards
Chris.