Independent pivot point and switch point

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lychee

Independent pivot point and switch point

Post by Lychee »

Hi animators

I Work on a new way to create a character's body in faked 3d.

I am stuck in my experiments and I had beautiful try to work around my problem but finally i think i'll need a new tool to achieve this creation.

The pivot point of a layer is the point where operate the switch when the depth sort option "layer depth" is enabled.
I want to move the arm of my character, not only the shapes but also the pivot point to créate automatics switch between the torso and the arm layers.

My problem is that i need to put the pivot point on the middle of my arm for a good switch operating.
But like i explained the pivot point can be a switch point, but i also need it for that primary fontionality, a axis point, and the axis point musn't be in the middle of the arm but at his base.

So is it possible to separate the pivot point and the switch point in scripted new Tools?
I'm not a script programmer, so i will be very happy and grateful if some talented peoples can help and create thoses Tools.
Thank you for avence.

Best regards.
synthsin75

Re: Independent pivot point and switch point

Post by synthsin75 »

If I understand you, you need the layer origin to be used as pivot for rotating the layer, but you also need the origin elsewhere, since layer sorting by depth is based on the location of the layer's origin? Sorry, scripting can't help with that. Even if the layer origin were animatable, it would mess up the rotation the second it's moved.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

What about using nested layers?

A parent layer with one center or origin, a child layer with a different center. The top layer could be used for the layer ordering, the child layer could have a different origin or center pivot.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Good idea, Vern. That does work if you nest your layers like a bone hierarchy (arm group in the body group, etc.) and use the group layers for rotations. A script could make vector layer selection in the workspace automatically select that layer's parent group for animating.
Lychee

Post by Lychee »

Hello and thanks for the reply.

Here is a test file so that you understand how i did the animation above.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qitcf4ojh1eu8 ... 0Test.anme

I've create a body layer on which i put four bones, each bones are bind to other layers (two arms, two legs) so that when moving a bone, it is a layer that will rotate with its pivot point and create an automatic switch when it will pass before or behind the torso layer.
The pivot point should be away from the base of the arm so that the switch is done, but this is where that the problem begins.
If I want others movements that forward and backwards, as raise or lower the arm, the rotation will done on the pivot point (the middle of the arm) and not at the base of the arm.

Therefore, if it's impossible to separate the switch point of the pivot point, would it be possible to make a parent layer who would control another layer located at the same level in the hierarchy of folders?
Somehow make a script to bind a layer with another layer as we can link a layer to a bone?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

I've had a look at your file -- very interesting rig and use of layer rotations, paths as shapes and line width.

Maybe you won't need to address the issue I'm about to describe because of the way you'll animate the character, but if you think you will need to do this (and you have hinted at the fact that you'll want to do more than just forward and backwards movement of limbs) it might offer you a direction for a solution.

the pivot point of an upper arm always stay at the shoulder position, so your use of layer z to place them at the shoulders during rotation works very well.

However, the lower forearm can go in front or behind the torso; and in front of or behind the other forearm. so what I think this means is that you'll need to separate each arm into two layers, and place the pivot points at the upper joints.

As you're using 9.5, you have the option of using smart bones to control layer rotation and translation (in z). so you could have two bones for each arm segment: one to control in the x/y plane and one for the y/z plane?