Custom-made Characters for Anime Studio

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jupitor6

Custom-made Characters for Anime Studio

Post by jupitor6 »

Who wants custom-made characters? When you can't find what you need at Content Paradise, or you have your own original character design (or rough sketch) and want it modeled, would you pay someone to do it for you, and if so, how much?
Still doing it.
DK

Re: Custom-made Characters for Anime Studio

Post by DK »

I get email from people wanting custom made characters from time to time. If it's for a character i think will sell I am happy to create it for the sale price then just include it in with my other Content Paradise stuff for slae to general public. It does'nt happen very often though.

Cheers
D.K
jupitor6

Post by jupitor6 »

That doesn't sound like what I call custom-made. If someone wants a custom-made character then it would be something exclusive to the buyer who would pay for the exclusive use of the work. Even provide their own character concept for you to model and rig for them. What you did sounds more like fulfilling a request, if you are going to do it at regular sale price and sell to the general public, you were fulfilling requests for items that weren't previously available. Now, who wants their cartoons custom-made to order? :roll:
Still doing it.
DK

Post by DK »

Well....I call it NON exclusive custom made. Are you looking for work or just curious as to how many people on the forum cannot use Anime Studio?

D.K
jupitor6

Post by jupitor6 »

This is kinda like a mini questionnaire i'm throwing out, to see if a demand exist for such things. Surely I would offer the service. :D
Still doing it.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I think unless you can show some credential of your work people wouldn't consider you a viable vendor for such a task.
The fact requests for this are so few and far between (even for DK who is a long-time established and known content creator on content paradise) my advice would be to forget about it as a potential revenue stream... You may be far better off actually creating resellable micro transaction characters for CP instead - they are more likely to sell.

I'm not sure the need for this sort of stuff exists on more than a very rare one off occurrence (check the 'work' forum for proof!). If you can't draw or rig your own character, the chances are you aren't looking to animate yourself either...
jupitor6

Post by jupitor6 »

Thanks for both your input on the topic. Now who want it and who don't? Where are the content producers looking for that extra pair of hands to model and rig the concepts on them character sheets or rough sketch? :D
Still doing it.
RichardU

Post by RichardU »

Do you have any examples of your work to show off? I might need an extra set of hands some day.
jupitor6

Post by jupitor6 »

Yes, indeed. See my recently updated signature for a link to my work @ CP.
Still doing it.
RichardU

Post by RichardU »

Got it. Thanks.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

While I believe someone at some point might want such a service, funksmaname's got it right in that it's going to be few and far between and acting pushy about it without a hint of what you're capable of isn't going to earn you any customers.

Your business model seems to be "hey, I want money, who will give me some?" You may want to go with "hey, look at what I can do for you, isn't this something you would like?" People need to know why they should go to you, not just simply what you can do--which, by the way, you have not even provided. A potential customer shouldn't have to scour through a post for a signature that may possibly lead him or her in the right direction. It should be more like "look at this rough sketch to finished character I did and can do the same for you."

I'm sure that this would be a valuable service to some. No one will ever know because of your delivery, however.
~Danimal
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

To answer the "mini-questionaire", Jupitor, I'd be interested.
jupitor6

Post by jupitor6 »

Who's next? Let's do it! :D
Still doing it.
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

Danimal wrote: Your business model seems to be "hey, I want money, who will give me some?".
You may want to go with "hey, look at what I can do for you, isn't this something you would like?" People need to know why they should go to you, not just simply what you can do--which, by the way, you have not even provided. A potential customer shouldn't have to scour through a post for a signature that may possibly lead him or her in the right direction. It should be more like "look at this rough sketch to finished character I did and can do the same for you."
I'm sure that this would be a valuable service to some. No one will ever know because of your delivery, however
I wanted to add a couple of notes about that comment, Danimal.
First of all, we all want money. You, me, Obama and the homeless. And that's just as well, society would have a problem if people didn't need money anymore, perhaps nobody would work then! I didn't read "hey, I want money, who will give me some", but rather: "Hey, I can do this job and I'm pretty good at it, do you want to hire me?".

And second, whilst it is true that we all have our own ways of going about promoting our work, perhaps some of us are not as experienced as others in getting exposure. I think some of the replies here were a little too aggressive...

Anyway, I hired Jupitor to build 2 characters for me, and for what it's worth, I'd like to say a couple of things:

1- His fees were very reasonable.
2- His work was outstanding and utterly professional.

Cheers.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Telemacus wrote:perhaps some of us are not as experienced as others in getting exposure
Hence the suggestions offered. It's a poor salesman who makes it clear he wants your money rather than your satisfaction with goods or services delivered.

"Who's up? Who's next? Who wants some?" scream carnival barker, not utter professionalism.
~Danimal