9.5 is out...

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Droxon

Re: 9.5 is out...

Post by Droxon »

heiseman wrote:Pretty excited about these new features. Particularly the nested layers, switch groups and mask groups all working with bones. New Flexibind improvements are also great. Should make character rigging quicker.

Hopefully v10 will see proper motion blur and the option of switching to bezier drawing tools instead of the current set of tools.
Totally agree :)

All i need is real motion blur to replace after effects completely xD
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I was trying to figure out a way to script "real motion blur".

The trick is... you need "sub frame rendering". You need the ability to render multiple passes within a single frame that includes movement "between" surrounding frames not simply "whole" frames. For example to get a true motion blur, you would want to split each frame into multiple "sub frame" passes (this could be a motion blur setting) so you can render movement between 2 frames (not like 20 frames) to create the realistic blur effect on a single frame. It's not a matter of just "adding in real motion blur". This is a major change to the core application functionality and this also will effect render times significantly. (I still want it! ;) )

The type of motion blur ASP uses is "simple" but limited. It just blurs, changes opacity, and renders a set number of "whole frames" before/after the current frame.

REAL motion blur requires that the blur be "more" than just a whole frame difference. The difference in motion between 2 whole frames is HUGE! It's too much. You just can't get "real" motion blur using whole frames. You have to have some sort of multipass overlaying of multiple renders WITHIN 1 frame. Blurring within the multiplass renders could give the option to reduce the number of passes required and shorten render times but with enough passes at highest quality you wouldn't even need blurring.

Real motion blur will add a ton of time to rendering because of the sub frame sampling and blur required. Current ASP motion blur is slow just due to rendering all the extra frames on top of any blur setting. To get real motion blur each frame will be split into subframes and rendered. So exponentially longer render times. So if you have a 24fps and you turn on a "real motion blur" option, you have to render multiple frames WITHIN each 24 frames per second... exponentially humungous longer render times... but the results could be cool as heck.

I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE sub frame rendering in Anime Studio! That would be freaking awesome!!!! You could do some freaking COOL tricks with that feature above and beyond just motion blur.

You could "fake" real motion blur in Anime Studio right now. (edit: you also need to increase the animation length. Frame rate max is only 120) Simply increase the FPS to some HUGE amount. Use the current motion blur with the highest value possible for the frames. Then you would need to "squash" the frame rate back down to match the actual frame rate you need and composite those motion blur frames onto the final animation.

This is sort of what I have been experimenting with scripting a "sub frame" render... but... it's tricky. I was hoping I could figure out a way to temporarily increase the FPS to render out specific frames and switch back... eh... er... not actually possible yet. :) I have also been playing around with motion blur to create realistic smoke effects, one frame at a time, with a script to "fake" the subframe motion.
Droxon

Post by Droxon »

heyvern it would be really cool if you manage to create the script :D
I didn't realize how difficult could it be to add real motion blur...

but hopefully we can get real motion blur in the future :) (some) things look much better with motion blur!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Maybe this thread can be useful:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16822
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

is this motion blur?
Overdroid

Post by Overdroid »

You had me at bones controlling nested layers. I bought it.

Maybe one day I'll make a new Sharky cartoon. :(
Droxon

Post by Droxon »

selgin wrote:Maybe this thread can be useful:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16822
I tried that, but it didn't work very well :( besides its a long process....
ruscular3d wrote:is this motion blur?
No, those are drawings. Motion blur is way different just google it :)
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

I was being comical, but I thought about how we perceive what is motion blur in toon when my generation was raise on the Flintstones feet moving cars, and road runner running, to Toon character fighting in a moving ball. Is there a toon animation with real motion blur in the media? Does it seem out of the ordinary to see vector motion blur?

Or is this a new era of pushing a new milestone of technique?
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I have to agree with Ruscular3d :D There's no motion blur of course on any of the 2D animation's we grew up with beyond dry brush whoosh lines or the like. I suppose these days everyone just wants all options available to them.

Version 9.5 is fantastic and I'm celebrating the features that have been implemented / enhanced. They are all very useful and will make a huge difference.
GiuseppeA

Post by GiuseppeA »

i have problem.. update my anime studio 9.2 from 9.5.... my Shopping cart is empty.
forwarding the order but your cart is empty... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Droxon

Post by Droxon »

AmigaMan wrote:I have to agree with Ruscular3d :D There's no motion blur of course on any of the 2D animation's we grew up with beyond dry brush whoosh lines or the like. I suppose these days everyone just wants all options available to them.

Version 9.5 is fantastic and I'm celebrating the features that have been implemented / enhanced. They are all very useful and will make a huge difference.
I have to agree, actually i don't use motion blur for any of my cartoons, but i use a lot of text and shapes that's why i need the motion blur :)

I was watching selgin's reel the other day and i was wondering... how did he add the "motion blur" (or effect) to the dog's legs? Does anyone know? or maybe he can explain it :) that would be cool for some things.

http://youtu.be/ohAVI5rvRRo?t=1m48s
GiuseppeA wrote:i have problem.. update my anime studio 9.2 from 9.5.... my Shopping cart is empty.
forwarding the order but your cart is empty... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I had a similar issue, i got version 9 instead of 9.5 xD Just send a message to the support team: https://support.smithmicro.com/

They fixed my problem within 24 hrs.
Last edited by Droxon on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

ruscular3d wrote:Or is this a new era of pushing a new milestone of technique?
Unfortunately, in almost every case it's an era of overusing an effect that's not that great to begin with.

My version also doesn't open maximized and I couldn't find the command for the right click mentioned earlier. Is there another fix? I guess hitting "maximize" everytime is a pretty small gripe, but if there's a way around it...
~Danimal
Potoroo

Post by Potoroo »

Danimal wrote:My version also doesn't open maximized and I couldn't find the command for the right click mentioned earlier. Is there another fix? I guess hitting "maximize" everytime is a pretty small gripe, but if there's a way around it...
Right-click on the ASP icon and select Properties. A dialogue box will appear. If necessary select the Shortcut tab. Towards the bottom of the Shortcut tab you'll see the text "Run:" followed by a drop-down list box. This defaults to "Normal window" so click on the down arrow and select "Maximized". Hit OK to save the setting and close the dialogue box. From now on when you start ASP from that icon it will start maximized. Note that you may have to repeat this process if you have multiple ASP icons.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Ah, I was skipping the Properties window. That did the trick - thank you so much! :)
~Danimal
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Droxon wrote:
I have to agree, actually i don't use motion blur for any of my cartoons, but i use a lot of text and shapes that's why i need the motion blur :)

I was watching selgin's reel the other day and i was wondering... how did he add the "motion blur" (or effect) to the dog's legs? Does anyone know? or maybe he can explain it :) that would be cool for some things.
I'm not sure how Selgin added that motion blur, but I think he may use the RealSmart Motion Blur plugin for some things: http://www.revisionfx.com/products/rsmb/. This can be used in programs like After Effects and Premiere Pro.