Limitation to Nested Layer Control

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

RichardU

Limitation to Nested Layer Control

Post by RichardU »

CORRECTION: If you are using SB to animate vector layers in a subgroup, you can see it work while in frame 0, unless the subgroup is bound, then you need to move to frame 1+ to see it work.
Last edited by RichardU on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichardU

Re: Limitation to Nested Layer Control

Post by RichardU »

Post no longer relevant.
Last edited by RichardU on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

You could add bones to the parent layer that are duplicates of the bound child layer bones to control them 1:1 for top level control... i think?
RichardU

Post by RichardU »

I tried that. Also tried to link as an angle control bone. Couldn't get it to work, but there might be some trick.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

It works like this (just tried it)

Bone layer (with bone B1)
- Bone layer (with bone B2)
-- vector layer

set up a smart action for B1 to rotate B2

CHECK BONE NAMES - if both B1 and B2 were called the same, it would not work (this happened to me when I initially tried as the first bone in each bone layer was called B1)

Now expand on this for a more complex rig :)
RichardU

Post by RichardU »

I did some experiments and discovered I had a flawed process for experimentation. I was testing bone action on frame 0. Everything works, until you make the sub-bone layer a switch layer or bind the sub-bone layer to some other bone. Then it doesn't work. However ... if you move to frame 1 or beyond, then it works no matter what. Fantastic, and thanks for the help.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Quote by Funksmaname
Interesting Wrinkle: So the cure is to bind all of the sublayers directly to a top-layer bone and NOT bind the group layer. However, if the group layer happens to be a bone or switch type of group layer, and if the bone or switch layer contains any bones (yes, a switch layer can contain bones) then you will be unable to bind the sub-layers to a top-level bone.
Is there a way to use a switch layer with a smartbone? I did an experiment with a switch layer inside a bone layer. The switch layer had two vector layers. The smartbone effected the bone vector and a switch vector but I found I could not select a different switch vector without re-editing the smartbone action.
I was testing to see if I could select a different switch vector layer while turning a head. If not it's OK. I'm late to the party since I upgraded from ASP 7 to 9.5. Version 9.5 is amazing.
Cheers, Larry
RichardU

Post by RichardU »

3deeguy wrote:Is there a way to use a switch layer with a smartbone?
First, it's interesting to know a Switch layer IS a bone layer. You can add bones directly to it. Second, a feature of 9.5 is the ability of smartbones to control switch layers (pg 79 of the 9.5 Manual).
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

It's been pointed out in another thread yesterday that if you have switch controls in an SB they over-ride the main timeline so adding switching manually doesn't appear to work... I think the timeline should always override SBs - will make the suggestion.
RichardU

Post by RichardU »

I think Heyvern had written a script to control switch layers with a bone, and I had to abandon it for that same reason.

I have lessened desire to control a switch layer with an SB since you can now Ctrl-Alt-rightclick on a switch in the main window and set a key from there ... however, I have now experienced certain situations where Ctrl-Alt-rightclick simply does not work.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

It works! I made two vector shapes and put them in a switch layer. I then put the switch layer in a bone layer. I made two child bones for the vector shapes and made a 3rd bone to control the two child bones. Thanks.
Cheers, Larry