Problem with sound recording (and Hello!)

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

braj

Problem with sound recording (and Hello!)

Post by braj »

On my desktop I can't get the sound recording input to work, it just doesn't register anything. I have a semi-pro audio rig with a Zoom R8 interface, as well as the onboard audio card for general computer sounds. The Zoom shows up as an input but isn't active. All my audio apps and other programs work fine. Since there is no other audio settings available I'm wondering if this is just a lost cause and not worth the hassle. I have plenty of pro apps to record audio, making clips in Live seems perfect for working with animation, but just for the sheer convenience I'd like to be able to do it within AS when I like.

BTW this is my first post here, I'm loving AS Pro 9, a bit bewildered with bone rigging, especially when things just seem weird and I can't get it to do what I want, like I get layers bound to just one bone, then can't get them to take more, delete everything, get it to work, then break it. And I need to get a grip on orgins so I can use the Follow Path tool effectively. There is so much to learn and now since I've been messing about I see any animation and start thinking how it was all put together and how I could learn from it. Anyhow I'm pretty excited to make my son's drawings move and stuff. It brings out the child in me.

I've been reading and watching lots of tutorials and slowly hope to learn how to do all the turns and bone rigs, but am taking it easy for now and using actions to animate points a lot. My main issue seems creativity :) I think I could do a ton with what I know already with some inspiration. But I'm mighty impressed with all the posts I've read here and I hope I can learn from you all how to get the most of the software and get those ideas flowing. Any guidance would be appreciated :)
oakesy

Re: Problem with sound recording (and Hello!)

Post by oakesy »

Welcome to the site hope enjoy further adventures. As the matter of the sound issue, could you clarify you computer details whether Windows or Mac setup. Other Grownups will come along and offer better helping. :D
A smile is better than a punch even when you want to.

Regards John from Merry England.

MacPro and proud.
braj

Post by braj »

:) It's Windows 7 Home, the built-in sound card is a realtek. I haven't tried routing any audio through the realtek though as the Zoom has decent preamps and effects.
arfa

Post by arfa »

hi braj...

While I can't respond usefully to your sound issue (I compile in Premiere so don't have much AS sound experience) I can welcome you and express my delight at your enthusiasm for AS and animation. I also enjoy the kiddie side of making things go bump, squash vaaaaroooom.!

I am recently back to AS after a few years leave and... there is much nice and new and neat.
My main issue seems creativity
If you use your son's drawings - and his imagination - you should be fine. I see the same hesitation and also see the techie in me getting in the way - as in "make it amazing and perfect and cool and...." Trust the kid within :P
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

What type of mic are you using?
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
braj

Post by braj »

InfoCentral wrote:What type of mic are you using?
A Behringer C-1, but that is working fine everywhere else, it is not likely the mic but the interface drivers. My guess is AS is confused between having two sound cards, even if I turn off one now, it is borked likely because the installer saw both during installation and didn't know what to do exactly. The Zoom used ASIO and it can only work with one app at a time, they take exclusive control, so somehow I am thinking the Zoom is still controlled by another app, but shows up anyway in the AS menu and just doesn't work. I might fix it by messing about with devices in Windows, but then I could break it for my audio apps that cost a lot more than AS and that isn't worth the trouble most likely. Sound input does work on my laptop, which is actually where I will need it most since it doesn't have the rest of my studio attached to it.