problems with bones

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Maxwell

problems with bones

Post by Maxwell »

hello
so i made this simple character here
and i rigged it with bones but now i can't use the smart bone feature on it
for example i try to move my arm up Image
in the action window i created the option that when you move this bone up it corrects the object it is manipulating Image
but when i get out of the action back in the mainline it does not work the arm does not correct itself and the points don't move.
so i tried a second time and this time i did not bind the layers to the bones... and that did not work ether...
as you can see here the upper layers are bonded and the lover layers are not
so i was wondering if any of you guys have any idea on how to fix this
so i am adding a link here http://www.sendspace.com/file/891mo1 where you can download my file and see what is wrong. (only 1 action is in this file but it is enough to see it does not work )
i would really appreciate any kind of help because i am doing this for my school project that i can't afford to fail
DrGhaedi

Re: problems with bones

Post by DrGhaedi »

After you create your smart bone action, do you double click on the 'Mainline' heading? I'm also assuming that the name of the bone which you are wishing to control shares the identical name of the action?
just because nobody understands you does not make you an artist
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

I had a look at your file.
You have made a smart action but the bone was only rotated about 90 degrees and you had not set any bone angle limits so if you rotate it more than 90 degrees the smart bone will stop working after 90 degree.
You have only moved the points for the sleeve and not for the arm, so the arm will not be affected.
I would have made the rotation of the "smart bone" at about frame 20 or more, because then you're able to adjust the arm and the sleeve at several frames while you rotate the smart bone.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Sounds like Ulric found your problem.
I usually put it at frame 120 or so, to get more resolution in the animation...
Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

ulrik wrote:I had a look at your file.
You have made a smart action but the bone was only rotated about 90 degrees and you had not set any bone angle limits so if you rotate it more than 90 degrees the smart bone will stop working after 90 degree.
You have only moved the points for the sleeve and not for the arm, so the arm will not be affected.
I would have made the rotation of the "smart bone" at about frame 20 or more, because then you're able to adjust the arm and the sleeve at several frames while you rotate the smart bone.
thank you that did help a lot but in the end i found out that if you bind the layer to the bone it won't work in the smart bones (go figure -.-) so i released all the layers and in the next bones i did not bind the layers :D so here is something i made really really quick once i done all the smart bone actions http://www.sendspace.com/file/534z8b (and just ignore the left shoe... i failed horribly on it :( )
thank you again :D