AS 9 - 75 tutorials bundle Reviews?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rogermate

AS 9 - 75 tutorials bundle Reviews?

Post by rogermate »

Has anyone purchased the 75 tutorials bundle that is offered with the AS 9 upgrade? It comes on a DVD.

I'd like to see how others view the series. There are lots of tutorials out there, but wonder to which level of experience the series may be targeted to.

Any feedback appreciated.
Acesonnall

Re: AS 9 - 75 tutorials bundle Reviews?

Post by Acesonnall »

I do remember buying tutorials with my purchase of AS 9, but I'm not sure if it's what you're pointing out.

I'll actually have to check them out first. I've been sort of fiddling with the new features.
~Ace

Want to see my other (older, but still cool/funny) animations? Click the picture below!
CartoonM!ke

Post by CartoonM!ke »

When I upgraded this offer appeared and vanished before I could check it out. Who did this and is it still available for upgrades or is it a blink and it's gone kinda thing?
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
"Of course I encourage kids to walk on my lawn. I mean, how else can I test out the death traps?"
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

CartoonM!ke wrote:When I upgraded this offer appeared and vanished before I could check it out. Who did this and is it still available for upgrades or is it a blink and it's gone kinda thing?
I'm assuming this is what you guys are talking about. I have no idea if they're different from the content you find in the in the "Training/Video Tutorials" on that same page. Maybe it's a little more in-depth.

http://anime.smithmicro.com/buy-training.html
Adam
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

From what I am reading this doesn't seem to be so much a collection of tutorials. What they look like to me is a feature tour where 'this does this' and 'this button does that.' A believe a tutorial needs to be project based for it to be really useful. You learn by doing! I have seen some "tutorial and tutorial sites" where they show you 'look what I can do' and then your supposed to go away and be able to do something similar on your own just by watching them work. This is good for intermediate to advanced users where 'tips and tricks' can be shared. Although I feel this approach is helpful and can work it is definitely inferior to the project based 'learn by doing' method.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

The PDF Tutorial Manual & User's Manuals that come with the software definitely leave lots of stuff out, but they're still the best place to start. In my opinion anyway. I started using AS when Debut 7 was current. At the time I think it took about a week to make it through the entire manual, but it answers soo many questions, it's step by step and it comes along free.
Adam
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

There are some legacy books and videos around but the problem is that with every version release the UI changes a little. Enough for a beginner trying to learn the program to get frustrated and give up. Unfortunately, unlike my 3D software which lets you change the UI to past versions Anime Studio doesn't have this feature.

Quick Solution: :!:
What could be done, and probably should be done, to maintain usability of past educational resources is make an interactive UI of past versions where you click on what was there and that launches a video or text of where in can found in the current UI or what replaced it? Very easy to do in Adobe Acrobat and distribute as an interactive PDF.
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

drumlug13 wrote: I'm assuming this is what you guys are talking about. I have no idea if they're different from the content you find in the in the "Training/Video Tutorials" on that same page. Maybe it's a little more in-depth.

http://anime.smithmicro.com/buy-training.html
Yes, those are the tutorials which I'm curious about. I'm not interested in purchasing if I can just view the topics I'm curious about for free.

I'd really like to know who wrote the tutorials, and if they are "watch only" or if they are "follow along" either with materials or not.
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

I'm not 100% certain, but I think Chad Troftgroben did those. Here's his website link. It's got a button to contact him for more in-depth run down of what's in it if you can't get an answer from the AS Site. It wouldn't hurt to ask. I've seen quite a few tutorials packs for sale that don't really cover anything you can't find in the manual or on the forum here for free. But Chad's tutorials are pretty good. With all the new stuff in AS9 it may be a pretty reasonable price to have everything covered and freshly organized.

http://www.incredibletutorials.com/
Adam
ctroft

Post by ctroft »

drumlug13 wrote:I'm not 100% certain, but I think Chad Troftgroben did those. Here's his website link. It's got a button to contact him for more in-depth run down of what's in it if you can't get an answer from the AS Site. It wouldn't hurt to ask. I've seen quite a few tutorials packs for sale that don't really cover anything you can't find in the manual or on the forum here for free. But Chad's tutorials are pretty good. With all the new stuff in AS9 it may be a pretty reasonable price to have everything covered and freshly organized.

http://www.incredibletutorials.com/
Thanks for the shout out! If I'm not mistaken, the 75 tutorials in question are the ones I recently produced for Smith Micro. They are introductory and are more meant for beginners to get a grasp of the tools and features the software offers.

If any of you out there are looking for something more in depth I did record a tutorial series that shows you how to create a cartoon from start to finish. It still skews on the beginner side but offers a more "do it yourself approach". You can find the series for free here: http://www.incredibletutorials.com/cate ... en/page/3/ or here http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC138B0B8E620E493

Since the series is 11+ hours long, some viewers like to purchase the video and project files, which can be done here: http://incrediblefiles.com/products/ste ... e-package/

Hope that helps!
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

I thought the video tutorials were FREE in the e-manual when you purchased ASP9?