Smart bones change everything! Some examples

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Smart bones change everything! Some examples

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Ok, now you all know what version 9 is about and all I can tell is this version is really great. There are many big enhancements we were waiting for and also a lot of little features which makes the software much more comfortable than previous versions (for example, you now can reorder the actions list).
Anyway, all the really fantastic improvements get eclipsed by the shine of Smart Bones, and this feature becomes the main reason I think everyone (seriously, everyone) should upgrade to 9.

I have been working with AS9 for a while and I have made a lot of rigs with it. I know there are some videos showing how you can create smart bones and for what can be used for, so I won't show you tutorials, I just want to share some of the rigs I have been working on, I think they could inspire you.

PD: I'll be posting more videos on this thread.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Onionskin

Re: Smart bones changes everything! Some examples

Post by Onionskin »

yeah, everything will change, this foot rigs looks great, something I gonna use a lot
benecosse

Post by benecosse »

Everything changes from V9
Last edited by benecosse on Thu May 05, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

:)
I added a new video to the first post "circo_rigs", it shows many characters.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

This looks very exciting. After watching those rigs I wish SM would add an optional plug-in for Anime Studio so you can have morph dials like in Poser. :D
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
Karhu

Post by Karhu »

Thank you for your videos, really nice work in those!
I put my pilot animation on hold, will get version 9 on monday and then redo my rig and animation! :)

Will be amazing to see what people will achieve with smart bones!

-Karhu
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Funksmaname hinted that MorphDials will soon be obsolete and now I can I see why. Fantastic work, selgin!
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Selgin you've been busy! This is an amazing new feature. Thanks for demonstrating it so well :D
Admiral Halsey

Post by Admiral Halsey »

Truly amazing! But what is Smart bones? Is it some new Tool or script?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Admiral Halsey wrote:Truly amazing! But what is Smart bones? Is it some new Tool or script?
Smart bones is new feature of Anime Studio Pro 9. Now you can design specific point movements (and curvature and linewidth) to bone rotation. This let you fix any joint problem you could have and use bones as control levers.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Fantastic videos, they are really showing a lot opportunities! Smart bones are indeed SMART! I love your characters as well Selgin, thanks for showing this it makes me inspired! :D
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Wow wow, amazing and inspiring... I was holding my breath fortis thread to be made! When I first saw the foot thing, my jaw dropped. And the bone dynamics on the hat is a great idea! Thanks for sharing some of your secrets.

If anyone is not sure what is actually happening here or how (easy) it is to set up, check out my 'smart bone basics' thread.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

neeters_guy wrote:Funksmaname hinted that MorphDials will soon be obsolete and now I can I see why.
I don't see it. As a matter of fact I see using it more.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

He means using Rudigers Morph Dials script - It really hurts for me to say it, I have so much love and respect for that script, and Rudigers hard work, but he said himself elsewhere that as these new smart features evolve they will render morph dials obsolete. On top of everything, the fact these smart actions are part of the core program enhances their performance.

I think the use of morph bones and smart actions is absolutely the future of every character in AS moving forward.
Dodgy

Post by Dodgy »

I don't see it either. One of Morph dials most powerful features is the ability to drag a bone between several bones and have the character morph between different actions attached to the bones. One of the ways I use this is for phonemes, having a papagayo phoneme set on a ring of bones and dragging a bone between them to get the character talking. Can you do this with smart bones? I've only seen it use the rotation of the bones for controlling actions, not movement. This reduces morph dials usefulness but not eliminates it.

Still, it's very very nice what it CAN do.