jib jab (Lego animation)

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mayfly

jib jab (Lego animation)

Post by Mayfly »

my son is really into the Lego he sees on youtube, and he wants to make one, but i have no clue where to begin. i searched online, with no luck. i was wondering if one of you kind folks could point me in the right direction? i am using debut 8, if that makes a difference.

here's an example of what i mean, we just want to add add animated mouths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDSIMybW ... re=related

thanks
Mayfly

Post by Mayfly »

no one?
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

It's possible. Your importing options are described in the manual on page 428. You can import your stop motion video to play on one layer and then animate your mouths on the layer above it.
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

You could probably use the video tracking feature for this too. Page 188 in the manual.
Mayfly

Post by Mayfly »

Weird, because that's the first place I checked. I must've over looked it. Well thanks guys. I'll check it out when i get home.
Jademunky

Post by Jademunky »

Here's a quick test video I did yesterday just using a basic mask and some bones to move and scale the eyes/mouth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRfP0YPp ... ature=plcp

I just imported the video and then traced the facial features from a frame before the start that had the original face on it (then moved to the next frame with a blank face) then placed a mask around the head shape and animated the mouth with switch layers. It was pretty easy but next I'll try tracking it onto a moving head and see how that goes.

This was what got me interested in AS8 to start with as I do mostly Lego stop animation and always wanted the mouths to work (saves a lot of tedious micro head movements) but this program is so awesome I am starting to like straight animating even more.