Is there a program that converts Sketchup to Obj?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Fulkster

Is there a program that converts Sketchup to Obj?

Post by Fulkster »

I saw this question asked a couple years ago, but it got no response.

I know that sketchup will save as obj if you upgrade to their pro version (like $500... my wife would kill me!)... I can't really justify that expenditure for what for me is a hobby.

I know Babel used to convert sketchup files to obj for free, but I notice now there is a charge each time you use it. When you are doing a lot of experimenting, you feel like you are getting nickel-and-dimed to death!

Is there a free or "reasonably" priced ($20-$50) program that will do the conversion?

I appreciate any help!
Last edited by Fulkster on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Funny you should ask, I came across this yesterday on another forum. I haven't used it( I don't play with SKETCH UP) but you might want to look at it.

http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtop ... 23&t=33448
Fulkster

Post by Fulkster »

jonbo wrote:Funny you should ask, I came across this yesterday on another forum. I haven't used it( I don't play with SKETCH UP) but you might want to look at it.

http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtop ... 23&t=33448
...well, that looks promising! Thanks (again) for all your help!
Fulkster

Post by Fulkster »

jonbo and kkrawal...

Thanks!

I tried the plugin jonbo mentioned for Sketchup (ver 8 )- I made a simple shape with SU, exported it, and loaded it into AS8. ...And everything seems to work just fine through every step. I'm excited to try this all out.

I'm not familiar at all with Blender... but I went ahead and loaded it up just to check things out... I think it'd be a great option for people who know Blender.

For the newb that I am, I guess I recommend the plugin... but I'm going to see what Blender is all about now that it's loaded.

Again, thanks guys!
Fulkster

Post by Fulkster »

http://youtu.be/kZNGjCRMdyg
(success!)

There was one little glitch... has anyone else had this?

I changed one of the faces (painted "windows" on the spaceship), and when first imported the obj file, everything looked fine; but after some "movie making", the face (don't know exactly when?), the face got replaced with a simple cobalt blue color. (As seen in the vid above.) Tried saving and exiting AS, then reloading the AS file, but the "damage" had been done- plain faces again.

I was able to load the obj file with the changed (correct) face.

Something got discombobulated.