rendering issue.

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sargumphigaus

rendering issue.

Post by sargumphigaus »

So I have this animation of a character hitting something over and over again in rapid succession which came out very ideal. When I render it, I couldn't have asked for better results.

But then I added the audio and as a result the rendering process literally just collapses. The video just lags itself into oblivion. It removes frames out of the shot, it jumps around, it completely dies on me.

I first tried this with the in program audio editing system and eventually switched to mixing it using the program audacity to organize the audio and then mixed it in windows live movie maker. Everything I've tried has resulted in the same problem. Am I going to have to bite the bullet and conclude that this is just some kind of limitation technicality of Anime studio?

I have no idea why this is happening and it's making me lose my mind. Is anyone having a similar problem?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Please be more exact about when this happens. Most "render problems" are just playback problems and not related to AS. "Missing" frames: do they appear when you forward the video frame by frame? Then it*'s a playback issue.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

AVI will do this even on the fastest machines. I have learned to trust the render is a good one when I am editing in Sony Vegas.

Like slowtiger said, if you move it frame by frame it should look OK. It is just when you hit play is when it skips.

Do a test render in WMM. Render out about 10 seconds with the audio and it should look OK.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

I checked on my player, I threw it on youtube to see if it was actually just my computer not acting on par with it, and then I watched it on my phone. All the glitching frame skips are all in the exact spot. It's definately a render issue.

My theory is I'm probably straining the software. The video contains rapid movement where a bunch of switchlayers are activated simultaniously. In this video, I have noisy outlines and filty and I max out the noise effect to give it a gritty look. I think when I throw in the audio, it just overwhelms it and causes it to glitch. I could be wrong but that's just a theory.

I'm spacing out the fast movements. I turned off all the noise fill and outline effects, and I turned noise render down to 50. I'm hoping this might solve the problem.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

May we see the youtube video? It might help us find the problem.
Sorry for bad animation

sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kCIUBD6 ... AAjV7H15c=

Its not done yet, and the humor is pretty dark. You'll notice when the lamp starts hitting himself against the television.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Are you talking about the part where that 'thing' hit its head on the TV? That looks like it needs fixed in AS. Make sure it plays like you want in AS.

If need be you can render up to that part then render the next and just put them back together in WMM. It may indeed be a strain on your compter.
Sorry for bad animation

slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Interesting ... not my kind of humour, but I definitely like your use of multiple noisy outlines a lot.

OK, I see some points where you could easily reduce the load you put on your computer during rendering.

1. BG (background): Anything which doesn't move should be rendered separately and re-imported as just one bitmap.

2. Particles: I hope the small skulls which fall out of that mouth are not the same which appear after that in close-up? Again, render these separately and re-import the images, during that particle scene nobody will notice.

3. Noise: I think overall noise is a bit too much. I'd prefer some non-moving softer textures, with just a bit of film grain here and there. I'd do that with rendering just the grain as a short (24 frames) video, then re-import this and superipose it over all (with multiply). You need to experiment if you want to use this, getting textures really perfect is an art in itself.

4. Scenes: don't put several scenes into one AS file if you can use a video editor. If you must, switch off visibility of anything not used, even when outside the project window. I've found this sped up rendering a lot with my complex projects.

Do you know the comics of Gary Panther or Mark Beyer?
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

can't say that I've heard of them.

the background actually does make a lot of sense. I'll do that in the future.

for the skulls, I turned up the noise for them and zoomed the camera in on them very fast. I didn't use any particles on them. The closer you get to a vector with a noise level, the more appearent it becomes. I'm a big fan of that fact and discovered it 100% by accident. haha.

as for the scenes, I'm actually using windows live movie maker for the editing process. Every cut is a different scene. I bought my computer specifically for its high settings, but I'm under the impression that i'd probably blow my computer into oblivion if I incorporated all these scenes into one render.

The AC skull gig didn't give me any trouble. For me it was just the scene where the lamp attacks the tv. What I actually wound up doing was I turned down the noise and reduced the project setting noise to 50 as opposed to max capacity. And then with each time the lamp smashed itself against the tv, I added more frametime between each smash. this way I could space out the sound effects and the movements in general. I think I was just making it all come too fast.

For the most part, I think this case has been closed.

as always your help is appreciated.