Editing the Moho.5.2.strings file [to change shortcut keys]

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mooncaine

Editing the Moho.5.2.strings file [to change shortcut keys]

Post by mooncaine »

I thought this forum might be a good place to start a thread where we could share tips on setting up Moho with our own shortcut keys.

Lost Marble wrote some basic tips for us so that we could change the default keystrokes in Moho. I put them together here, with one or two discoveries of my own:
You can change the shortcuts for menu items, it's just not a super-friendly process. To do this, you first need to download the Moho strings file - this is a text file that contains all the menu commands, dialog controls, etc. You can download it in English, or the language of your choice:

http://www.lostmarble.com/moho/extras/t ... ions.shtml

Then, copy this file (Moho.5.2.strings) to the Moho program folder. [mooncaine: "The file isn't there by default, so don't worry if you can't find one. Also, be sure you keep a backup of the original that you downloaded, in case you need to restore it"]

Now open the file in a text editor like Notepad and look for the menu commands - they're near the top of the file, starting with the number 3000. Here's an example entry:

3001 "NewN"

The menu command is "New", and the shortcut key is 'N'. You can change the shortcut to anything you want, save the file, and start up Moho to get the new shortcut.

Commands that don't have a shortcut look like this:

3006 "Project Settings... "

Instead of a shortcut key at the end of the command, there is a space. To make a shortcut for this command, you would replace the space with a letter of your choice.

This isn't as friendly as a dialog box that lets you change menu shortcut keys, but it is possible if you really want to.
  • The shortcuts can only use Ctrl (Windows) or Cmd (Mac). No Shift or Alt keys.

Moho isn't case-sensitive about these shortcuts: "NewN" works exactly the same as "Newn". The menu shows lower-case letters if you use them, but it doesn't matter to Moho which case you use. It treats an "N" like an "n".

If you accidentally specify the same shortcut key twice, the one that appears first in the .strings file will be the one that works in Moho.

You can save this file as plain ASCII. Line ending styles [which vary from Mac to PC to UNIX] don't matter.
A tip for Mac users: You can change the line

Code: Select all

3041	"Preferences... "
to

Code: Select all

3041	"Preferences...,"
... and after you restart Moho, the conventional "CMD-," keystroke that other apps use to bring up the Preferences window will now be available to you.

(Note that the name of the .strings file must match the name your version of Moho or Anime Studio Pro claims to be. Thus, for the Anime Studio Pro version 5.5, the name of this .strings file should be: "Anime Studio Pro.5.5.strings" ... don't forget the "Pro" if you have that version; leave out "Pro" if you don't have it.)
Last edited by mooncaine on Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
myles

Post by myles »

To help with not specifying the same key more than once, here's a list of the version 5 shortcut keys (created for 5.0, so it might be out-of-date for 5.2).

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
mooncaine

Nice, myles! Thanks!

Post by mooncaine »

Thanks for sharing that.

:)
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

thx mooncaine, didnt know this one :D
mooncaine

My pleasure.

Post by mooncaine »

Glad to know I could help a bit. I was certainly glad to know how to do it.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

HELLO & THANKS! I've been experimenting and, as well as another things, I've now my desired Ctrl+Y shortcut for "Redos" :), but there is something that I've not been able to get yet, and... hmmm, I wonder if don't will be something wrong, well... Somebody knows why it doesn't works for sub-menu entries? I'm treating to assignn Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2, Ctrl+3... etc, for View --> Directions --> Camera, Front, Top... and although the shortcut appears beside the menu entries, nothing happend when I press the keys... And is something that, preciselly in this case, I'd find specially useful for a quick & handy choice of camera directions... BYE! :D

EDIT: oOohh, well... Seems that for some reason is not possible the use of number keys for shortcut pourposes,isn't? :? A pity cause I have not enough keys yet in my keyboard, well...
mooncaine

If you use Mac OSX, you may be able to assign more shortcuts

Post by mooncaine »

OSX allows you to set shortcut keys for many menu items in almost any program. Perhaps that may help.