animation job

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

marelenex

animation job

Post by marelenex »

How do I Get an animation job without previous experiance and certificate? I have been learning 3dmax for years myself and I could make 2 Short movies on my own. where can I show it to help me in getting a good job?
Last edited by marelenex on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Invariably, people are hired on the quality of their show reels - this doesn't mean a 10 minute epic, just something done well. I was fortunate enough to see Nick Park's application showreel he submitted to the National Film School in Beaconsfield; to everyone who saw it, it screamed talent - it wasn't backed by deafening techno thumping music, just a set of well crafted animated walks and other visual gags.

If you're selling yourself as an animator, show them animation - ie, walk cycles, expressions, timings, etc.

And keep it short, include only the best stuff. No-one commercially has the time to sit through 10 minutes of anything - most employers will know within ten seconds if you are suitable.

Then add a heap of patience to the soul destroying bit of sending out applications.

Youtube is a good place to house stuff free, and youtube video clips on Facebook are even better for getting your work noticed.

Finally, get thick-skinned, preferably to armadillo grade - you're going to get hundreds of rejections during your career in film and animation.

Hang in there.

Rhoel
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Learn to read ads. Lots of animation studios place ads in several places. If you can't find these, you may lack some important skills.

(Tip: http://jobs.awn.com/home/index.cfm?site_id=500. There's much more.)