AS an TB

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

hothead

AS an TB

Post by hothead »

95% company use toon boom and 5% use other software AS etc. AS is easy to use but no company use it as a major tool in there production to make cartoon movie TB top the list. i am not talking 30 second or 5 minute commercial every 2d software can do that But person use toon boom only to create cartoon movie series i can name a lot of cartoon i watch on tv create in TB but none with the 5% other software. my question which software i should be teaching myself with if i am planing to make a cartoon series. i dont want to hear that AS is Cheaper and easier to use than the others we all know that, SO WHY PEOPLE AND COMPANY DO USE ANIME STUDIO then. please be honest as i am as you all guys know i always speaks my mind as a real Jamaican
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Software price should not interfere if You are planning to make a series.

You need to consider the software that will do the job for You and that will integrate in the projected pipeline.

It depends on how many peoples You will have working on the project and what medium You want to use, is it 100% paperless, an hybrid, do You need to connect with outside workers, plenty to think of.

ASP could work for a small team, and I am pretty sure You do not have the millions needed to produce the next Simpsons series.

So the question You need to ask yourself is this, do You have the expertise to start this alone, if not, do You have the team to help You get started, the talents needed to start a series and the distribution connections.

You need to ask yourself all these questions and many more if You want to start a series, or even make a full length, which is less work btw!

The reason so many companies use TB is because TB offers on site training, which cost much more then the software itself, can You afford that or do You possess the expertise to train your personal yourself!

Before You start a series, You need to decide on the type of distribution You will be using, will it be on the Web, if so, how do You intend to make money with it.

Or perhaps You are looking for a TV series, then chances are that You will need to ally yourself with an existing studio, as TV and cable companies tend to do business with existing companies like Nelvana or Cartoon network.

Plenty to think of, but other we're able to make it, and so can You!
hothead

Post by hothead »

GCharb i wish if everyone here would speak honestly like we do. lets say i have US$84,000,000.00 and a team of 29 person age range from 24 to 46 all pros in media and animation etc...

money and team work is no a problem. i want to know which 2d software to use professionally because form my research TB is the only 2d professional software that can do everything in 2d animation with a lot more feature to do the work. i am a pro level stage in AS and to me it like i toy software just to use for FUN not professional
hothead

Post by hothead »

GCharb i wish if everyone here would speak honestly like we do. lets say i have US$84,000,000.00 and a team of 29 person age range from 24 to 46 all pros in media and animation etc...

money and team work is no a problem. i want to know which 2d software to use professionally because form my research TB is the only 2d professional software that can do everything in 2d animation with a lot more feature to do the work. i am a pro level stage in AS and to me it like i toy software just to use for FUN not professional
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I think its a matter of the skill set that others bring. Most animators that have worked in other animation programs will instantly hate AS. Relearning how to do something is a pain. Like getting someone who types with only one finger to use all ten.

To make animation that IS longer than 2 or 3 minutes normally takes a team where everyone works together. Your not going to find skilled "team of 29 person age range from 24 to 46 all pros in media and animation etc... " that can use AS. But 29 people who can animate some using TV paint, others using Photoshop and Aftereffects and still others using some other 2D program will all work together using Toomboom. It is not that big of a jump in a learning curve.

Dale
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I agree with Dale here and like I said, it depends on the task at hand.

if You want to make a flash type series, like Atomic Betty, then maybe Flash is your best bet, as so many peoples are trained with it, but if You want to mix hand drawn animation with Flash type animation, then TB may be the solution.

TB has many tools incorporated, like a compositor and effects modules, but they might not be the best, or may not do the type of compositing or effects that You want, do not limit yourself toTB or any single software to do the job.

You usually end up using all sorts of software in a production, so the animation tool often becomes only a small part of the pipeline.

I know AFX and Nuke top to bottom, but a studio may use something else, so I just might make the jump if I want the job, but not everyone is flexible like that.

Before You can really make a decision on the software You need, You need to make a bible, which may include a storyboard, a leica reel, some advanced designs, a few stories and much more, so You get a feel of the series and then be able to decide what software to use.

You say You are at a pro level with AS, but then say that it is mostly a toy, then how can You be at a pro level if the tool is only good for having fun! :)

And to say that ASP is not suited for pro work is like giving a good slap in the face to those who use it professionally, and there are many, You bad bad boy! ;)
chucky

Post by chucky »

Belated reply here,
one issue you might like to consider is style, if you wish to use frame by frame then TB would be a better choice at this moment in time.
Rigging can be quicker in Anime for puppet but drawing is slower.
Of course there is a good argument to buy both as many of us here have as use each program where appropriate if the style is possible in both.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

The truth you seek is that pro quality output is less to do with software and more to do with effort. It depends on the style you're trying to achieve - are you doing something like south park? simpsons? cinderella? are your drawing skills up to scratch?

TVP is better than TB imho, if you're not exporting flash or vector isn't a big concern but really, having the right tool for the right part of the job is the only right answer - so don't abstract 'which is better' or '95% of people use X' - work out what you are trying to achieve and the best way to get there.
JaMike

Re: AS an TB

Post by JaMike »

hothead wrote:95% company use toon boom and 5% use other software
Where on Earth did you get that statistic? Lots of TV series are made with Flash and After Effects.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I will never understand this obsession with what software is used for what production. The quality of animation has everything to do with the animator and very little to do with the software.
Also, certainly in the UK, CelAction is probably most widely used for TV work.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I would like to have a look at that Celaction software, I tried them all, but this one, drives me nutz! :)
hothead

Post by hothead »

greate info guys thank you
:idea:
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

AmigaMan wrote:I will never understand this obsession with what software is used for what production. The quality of animation has everything to do with the animator and very little to do with the software.
Also, certainly in the UK, CelAction is probably most widely used for TV work.
I'm an expert in all of the uk based kids shows generated with that, little princess, peppa, Ben and holly, humph. Guess that's what 2 under 5s does for you.. Cough cough that's the only reason I watch them.

Ok ok Ben and holly is my favourite for gags and little princess for characters.
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

I was referring to American network shows being Flash, I don't know if any of those UK shows make it to Jamaica (which is where I assume Hothead is). :)
hothead

Post by hothead »

yes i see them on the cable they are good for kids :D that why i dont watch then :D yes from jamaica the home of the five fastest man in the world you come here a nice place to be