Please critique in-progress "Everything That Grownups K

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

simplecarnival

Please critique in-progress "Everything That Grownups K

Post by simplecarnival »

EDIT: Five months later, and here's the finished product: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Vt11n4dtE

------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick background: I'm a singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist who is jumping head first into filmmaking/animation/stereoscopy. (I'm making an animated 3D video album -- more info here.)

I received some helpful feedback from the first video I'd posted a little while back. Instead of waiting until the entire second video is done and then soliciting feedback, I thought I could post segments of the video as they are completed, and ask for your feedback on this thread as I go along.

This song is called "Everything That Grownups Know." You can hear the song (with no visuals) here. The main thing I'm looking for critiques on at the moment, though, are the visuals (and the 3D effect). Here's the first segment that's completed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHs7Ju4BBsQ

Thoughts?
Last edited by simplecarnival on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:33 am, edited 9 times in total.
cheyne

Post by cheyne »

I think it's pretty tight. Nice transitions, motion and depth in cinema is convincing.

I don't have 3D glasses so can't comment on it's effect.

Good job I think 8)
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Looks pretty good, has an 80s feel to it, the 3D effects are working nicely!
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

I will follow this thread. For computer screens the trend is toward lenticular 3D (glasses-free) as opposed to anaglyph 3D which requires red/cyan glasses. If your research shows that adapting your animation to lenticular is a good idea then you might want to look into software that will help with the conversion. There's nothing wrong with learning both methods.
My username is "3deeguy" because one of my other hobbies is lenticular 3D photography. I've posted YouTube videos but all you can see is relative movement. I'll have to find another way to communicate what it is.
The link will show what I mean. http://youtu.be/RSvM-XiZDRA
Cheers, Larry
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hmm, last I checked, lenticular 3D can only be printed, unless I missed something?
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

I might make a lenticular picture by shooting a subject, say 24 times, each at a slightly different angle. My computer 'slices' them up (1 through 24) in such a way that when viewed though the lense one eye might see 'slice' 19 while the other eye would see 'slice' 23. Every device must be perfectly calibrated or the effect doesn't work. The principle is the same for both print and electronic media. Animated media is just tougher.

Cheers, Larry
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I could not find any of these online, care to share a few images?
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Do you mean the lenses? Microlens is one company.
Cheers, Larry
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I meant lenticular images that ca be displayed on a monitor!
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Samsung,Fuji...there are a few companies that make the monitors but production companies will have to catch up.
An animated video would be a lot easier than a photographed movie because the computer could do all the tweening.
I only know a few of the issues. One engineering problem is that 16:1 and 4:3 affects pixel size and the lens is fixed. There is also a 'sweet spot' in terms of viewing angle and viewing distance.
I get email alerts to keep up with what's going on but I only read what catches my eye.
If lenticular ever becomes mainstream then converting a rendered video should be within reach of anyone with the proper software.
Try this link. http://youtu.be/saiQ0xD3Qmg
Cheers, Larry
simplecarnival

Post by simplecarnival »

Thanks for the kind words about the video clip, guys...

3deeguy -- I'm rendering things side-by-side as opposed to straight anaglyph. (YouTube can convert side by side to a number of other formats, including red/blue anaglyph.)

It's a long story how I'm doing the rendering, but basically I wrote some software that tweaks the Anime Studio files and renders separate left and right images, moves things around with horizontal image translation, and puts in animated floating windows where needed. Eventually it creates side-by-side AVI files, which then get imported into Sony Vegas.

Stereoscopic Player is the killer stereoscopic movie player on Windows. I can take any 3D format (other than ones already encoded for anaglyph) and play it back in Stereoscopic Player in any other 3D format. Although I don't have a lensticular monitor, it's probable SP could play back any 3D movie in a format that would be compatible with it.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I use stereoscopic player myself, I also generate optimized anaglyph in After effects, optimized being the player default play mode.

I made a stereoscopic rendering tutorial on my blog if You have not seen it!

http://gcharb2d.blogspot.com/2011/07/3d ... tudio.html
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

simplecarnival, I personally think you're on to something. That's why I hope you'll keep us updated.
If you produce a physical 3D album you will probably have to include the glasses. They take some searching to find. I own two clip-ons that fit over my eye glasses in addition to the regular ones.

GCharb, thanks for the link to your blog. I saw a bunch of stuff that I want to study.
Cheers, Larry
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Cool, post any question You may have!
simplecarnival

Post by simplecarnival »

GCharb wrote: I made a stereoscopic rendering tutorial on my blog if You have not seen it!

http://gcharb2d.blogspot.com/2011/07/3d ... tudio.html
Nice tutorial, GCharb!

For those who are interested in getting fairly deep with stereoscopic video, two great resources I found are the StereoVantage site and the book 3D Movie Making: Stereoscopic Digital Cinema from Script to Screen. Both the site and the book complement each other very well, as the site explains some things better than the book and the book goes into areas that the site doesn't cover.