Problem - action/cycling doesn't repeat

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

johntclever

Problem - action/cycling doesn't repeat

Post by johntclever »

I have had AS8 for about a week or so and am stuck :-(

I am working on an animation of a man riding a tricycle and can't seem to get the pedaling to work properly.

I have created an Action for it, done the keyframes of moving bones and pedals to the appropriate locations...created a full cycle so it would be smooth. I also set up the cycling feature...

When I preview it in actions, it looks fine--my guy pedals through the "cycle" which repeats the frames over and over.

For some weird reason, when I select the action in my scene, and queue him up to go through several pedal cycles, he stops after the first one and "glides" through the rest of the frames without pedaling.

Can someone please help me understand what I am doing wrong here?
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

actions are always over-ridden by changes in the main timeline. Is it possible that you have keyframes that are acting as a 'stop' on the bones you have cycling?

You'll notice in the timeline there are usually red and black lanes. the red ones are for the currently selected bone, so if you make sure that only the legs have keyframes in your action you'll be able to just cycle the legs and move the upper body in the main timeline. Check that there are no key frames in the red lanes when selecting the bits you expect to cycle - select the legs and see if there's anything on the lane other than the action instance...

p.s. please don't double post.

p.p.s jonbo brought up a good point in the other thread - make sure the cycle is relative not absolute otherwise the main timeline will cycle to frame 1, rather than a cycle length from wherever you placed it.

p.p.p.s don't double post.
johntclever

Post by johntclever »

Thanks...apparently I had selected all keyframes...when I selected only the last one, it worked like a CHARM!!!!

Sorry about the double post

PS I won't double post

PPS I won't double post ;-)
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

:)